The Impact of Immigration on the UK Labour Market
This paper provides an empirical investigation of the way immigration affects labour market outcomes of native born workers in the UK, set beside a theoretical discussion of the underlying economic mechanisms. We discuss the problems that may arise in empirical estimations, and suggest ways to address these problems. Our empirical analysis is based on data from the British Labour Force Survey. We show that the overall skill distribution of Britain's immigrant workforce is remarkably similar to that of the native born workforce. We investigate the impact of immigration on employment, participation, unemployment and wages of the resident population. We find no evidence that immigration has overall effects on any of these outcomes at the aggregate level. There is some evidence that effects are different for different educational groups.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)20 7679 5888
Fax: +44 (0)20 7916 2775
Web page: http://www.cream-migration.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 1999.
"Do immigrants displace young native workers: The Austrian experience,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 327-340.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, . "Do Immigrants Displace Young Native Workers: The Austrian Experience," IEW - Working Papers 011, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Peter Kuhn & Ian Wooton, 1991. "Immigration, International Trade, and the Wages of Native Workers," NBER Chapters, in: Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market, pages 285-304 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1996.
"Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration,"
747, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Card, David, 2001. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(1), pages 22-64, January.
- David Card, 1997. "Immigrant Inflows, Native Outflows, and the Local Labor Market Impacts of Higher Immigration," NBER Working Papers 5927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Matthew J. Slaughter, 1999. "The Rybczynski Theorem, Factor-Price Equalization, and Immigration: Evidence from U.S. States," NBER Working Papers 7074, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen Goldner, Sarit & Paserman, M. Daniele, 2004.
"The Dynamic Impact of Immigration on Natives' Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from Israel,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cohen-Goldner, Sarit & Paserman, M. Daniele, 2011. "The dynamic impact of immigration on natives' labor market outcomes: Evidence from Israel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1027-1045.
- M. Daniele Paserman & Sarit Cohen-Goldner, 2010. "The dynamic impact of immigration on natives' labor market outcomes: Evidence from Israel," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-046, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Cohen-Goldner, Sarit & Paserman, M. Daniele, 2004. "The Dynamic Impact of Immigration on Natives' Labour Market Outcomes: Evidence from Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 4640, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George J. Borjas, 1987.
"Immigrants, minorities, and labor market competition,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(3), pages 382-392, April.
- George J. Borjas, 1986. "Immigrants, Minorities, and Labor Market Competition," NBER Working Papers 2028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rachel M. Friedberg & Jennifer Hunt, 1995.
"The Impact of Immigrants on Host Country Wages, Employment and Growth,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 23-44, Spring.
- Rachel M. Friedberg & J. Hunt, 1995. "The Impact of Immigrants on Host Country Wages, Employment and Growth," Working Papers 95-5, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Ethan Lewis, 2003. "Local, open economies within the U.S.: how do industries respond to immigration?," Working Papers 04-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crm:wpaper:0501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CReAM Administrator)or (Thomas Cornelissen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.