Factors Affecting Quits and Layoffs in Spanish Labour Market
During the last decade, unemployment rates in the European Union have been higher than in other regions, e.g., the United States, and these are even higher in Spain. It has been argued that the different degrees of labour mobility between the European and the American labour markets can account for the differences in the pattern observed. This paper follows the McLaughlin's model (1991) and provides empirical evidence regarding the factors determining quits and layoffs due to contract termination and non-renewal in Spain, following the efficient-turnover theory and wage flexibility. The data was obtained from the Spanish Household Panel Survey (PHOGUE) conducted by the Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE 1995). Our evidence, on the one hand, indicates that workers' characteristics influence on the probability of changing job. On the other hand, the influency of the factors affecting labour mobility is different depending on whether job separation was triggered by quits or layoffs.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jung, Robert C & Winkelmann, Rainer, 1993. "Two Aspects of Labor Mobility: A Bivariate Poisson Regression Approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 543-56.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1972. "Specific Human Capital: An Application to Quit Rates and Layoff Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(6), pages 1120-43, Nov.-Dec..
- Ahn, N. & de la Rica, S. & Ugidos, A., 1998.
"Willingness to Move for Work and Unemployment Duration in Spain,"
9801, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Ahn, Namkee & de la Rica, Sara & Ugidos, Arantza, 1999. "Willingness to Move for Work and Unemployment Duration in Spain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(263), pages 335-57, August.
- Royalty, Anne Beeson, 1998. "Job-to-Job and Job-to-Nonemployment Turnover by Gender and Education Level," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 392-443, April.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1984. "Raids and Offermatching," NBER Working Papers 1419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Kip Viscusi, 1980. "A Theory of Job Shopping: A Bayesian Perspective," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(3), pages 609-614.
- Booth, Alison L & Francesconi, Marco & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos, 1997. "Job Tenure: Does History Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1531, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sicherman, Nachum, 1990. "Education and occupational mobility," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-179, June.
- Garcia-Crespo, Dolores, 2001. " Promotions in the Spanish Labour Market: Differences by Gender," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(5), pages 599-615, December.
- Roger Klein & Richard Spady & Andrew Weiss, 1991. "Factors Affecting the Output and Quit Propensities of Production Workers," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(5), pages 929-953.
- McLaughlin, Kenneth J, 1991. "A Theory of Quits and Layoffs with Efficient Turnover," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Garen, John E, 1989. "Job-Match Quality as an Error Component and the Wage-Tenure Profile: A Comparison and Test of Alternative Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 245-52, April.
- Meitzen, Mark E, 1986. "Differences in Male and Female Job-quitting Behavior," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(2), pages 151-67, April.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1981. "Race and Sex Differences in Quits by Young Workers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 34(4), pages 563-577, July.
- Hashimoto, Masanori, 1981. "Firm-Specific Human Capital as a Shared Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 475-82, June.
- Winkelmann, Rainer & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1998.
"Is Job Stability Declining in Germany? Evidences from Count Data Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rainer Winkelmann & Klaus Zimmermann, 1998. "Is job stability declining in Germany? Evidence from count data models," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(11), pages 1413-1420.
- Robert H. Topel & Michael P. Ward, 1992. "Job Mobility and the Careers of Young Men," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 439-479.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:5:y:2005:i:4_3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.