The Stickiness of Colombian Consumer Prices
The price setting behavior of Colombian retailers of goods and services was studied based on a uniquedataset containing 12,052,970 individual price reports covering all items in the Colombian CPI fromMarch 1999 to May 2008. The main results are summarized as follows: 1. Colombian consumerprices were found to be stickier than those in Chile and Portugal and might be more flexible than thosein the Euro Area and some European countries. 2. Price reductions are not rare. Forty percent of pricechanges were found to be reductions. 3. Absolute percentage price changes were found to be largerthan inflation. 4. As inflation is reduced in Colombia, the following happens: (i) price stickinessincreases, (ii) the distribution of price stickiness concentrates on the rigid side, (iii) the variability and bias of the distribution of percentage price changes decreases, and (iv), nominal downward rigidities in the frequency of price changes are invariant to inflation. 5. A slight downward nominal price rigidity was detected in the data. 6. Price change synchronization was found to be low. 7. About 32% of the CPI corresponds to Taylor contracts, 34% to other time dependent rules and 34% to state dependent rules. These findings provide some of the micro fundamentals for the design of staggered contract models for monetary policy analysis in Colombia.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2004.
"Optimal monetary policy in a currency area,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 293-320, July.
- Carlos Carvalho & Fernanda Nechio, 2011.
"Aggregation and the PPP Puzzle in a Sticky-Price Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(6), pages 2391-2424, October.
- Carlos Carvalho & Fernanda Nechio, 2010. "Aggregation and the PPP puzzle in a sticky-price model," Working Paper Series 2010-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Carlos Carvalho & Fernanda Nechio, 2008. "Aggregation and the PPP puzzle in a sticky-price model," Staff Reports 351, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Martin Eichenbaum & Jonas D.M. Fisher, 2003. "Testing the Calvo model of sticky prices," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 40-53.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 2008.
"The State of Macro,"
NBER Working Papers
14259, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dias, Daniel & Robalo Marques, Carlos & Santos Silva, João M. C., 2005.
"Time or state dependent price setting rules? Evidence from Portuguese micro data,"
Working Paper Series
0511, European Central Bank.
- Daniel Dias & Carlos Robalo Marques & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2005. "Time or State Dependent Price Setting Rules? Evidence from Portuguese Micro Data," Working Papers w200508, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Filippo Altissimo & Michael Ehrmann & Frank Smets, 2006. "Inflation persistence and price-setting behaviour in the euro area – a summary of the IPN evidence," Occasional Paper Series 46, European Central Bank.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2008.
"Sticky Prices and Moderate Inflation,"
005856, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Mackowiak, Bartosz Adam & Smets, Frank, 2008.
"On Implications of Micro Price Data for Macro Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bartosz Mackowiak & Frank Smets, 2008. "On implications of micro price data for macro models," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 53.
- Maćkowiak, Bartosz & Smets, Frank, 2008. "On implications of micro price data for macro models," Working Paper Series 0960, European Central Bank.
- John B. Taylor, 1998.
"Staggered Price and Wage Setting in Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
6754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, John B., 1999. "Staggered price and wage setting in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 1009-1050 Elsevier.
- Etienne Gagnon, 2007.
"Price setting during low and high inflation: evidence from Mexico,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
896, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Etienne Gagnon, 2009. "Price Setting During Low and High Inflation: Evidence from Mexico," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1221-1263, August.
- Etienne Gagnon, 2006. "Price Setting during Low and High Inflation: Evidence from Mexico," 2006 Meeting Papers 300, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Juan manuel Julio & Héctor manuel Zárate, 2008.
"The Price SeTTing Behavior in colomBia: evidence from PPi micro data,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Héctor Manuel Zárate, . "The Price Setting Behavior in Colombia: Evidence from PPI Micro Data," Borradores de Economia 483, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Héctor Manuel Zárate, 2008. "The Price Setting Behavior in Colombia:Evidence from PPI Micro Data," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004511, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Coenen, Günter & Smets, Frank, 2003.
"Persistence, the transmission mechanism and robust monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
0250, European Central Bank.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Gunter Coenen & Frank Smets, 2003. "Persistence, The Transmission Mechanism And Robust Monetary Policy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(5), pages 527-549, November.
- Frank Smets & Ignazio Angeloni & Gunter Coenen, 2003. "Persistence, the Transmission Mechanism and Robust Monetary Policy," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 137, Society for Computational Economics.
- Baudry, L. & Le Bihan, H. & Sevestre, P. & Tarrieu, S., 2004.
"Price Rigidity. Evidence from the French CPI Macro-Data,"
113, Banque de France.
- Baudry, Laurent & Le Bihan, Hervé & Sevestre, Patrick & Tarrieu, Sylvie, 2004. "Price rigidity. Evidence from the French CPI micro-data," Working Paper Series 0384, European Central Bank.
- Ignazio Angelloni & Luc Aucremanne & Michael Ehrmann & Jordi Galí & Andrew Levin & Frank Smets, 2005.
"New evidence on inflation persistence and price stickiness in the Euro area: Implications for macro modelling,"
Economics Working Papers
910, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Luc Aucremanne & Michael Ehrmann & Jordi Galí & Andrew Levin & Frank Smets, 2006. "New Evidence on Inflation Persistence and Price Stickiness in the Euro Area: Implications for Macro Modeling," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 562-574, 04-05.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Luc Aucremanne & Michael Ehrmann & Jordi Galí & Andrew Levin & Frank Smets, 2005. "New Evidence on Inflation Persistence and Price Stickiness in the Euro Area: Implications for Macro Modelling," Working Papers 242, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Felipe Schwartzman & Carlos Carvalho, 2008. "Heterogeneous Price Setting Behavior and Monetary Non-neutrality: Some General Results," 2008 Meeting Papers 1040, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fisher, Timothy C. G. & Konieczny, Jerzy D., 2000. "Synchronization of price changes by multiproduct firms: evidence from Canadian newspaper prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 271-277, September.
- Aoki, Kosuke, 2001. "Optimal monetary policy responses to relative-price changes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 55-80, August.
- Mikhail Golosov & Robert E. Lucas, 2003.
"Menu Costs and Phillips Curves,"
NBER Working Papers
10187, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mónica Dias & Daniel Dias & Pedro Duarte Neves, 2004.
"Stylised Features of Price Setting Behaviour in Portugal: 1992-2001,"
w200405, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Dias, Mónica & Dias, Daniel & Neves, Pedro D., 2004. "Stylised features of price setting behaviour in Portugal: 1992-2001," Working Paper Series 0332, European Central Bank.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2002.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso & Juan Carlos Parra, 2009.
"La formación de precios en las empresas colombianas: evidencia a partir de una encuesta directa,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
005735, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas A. & Enrique López E. & Juan Carlos Parra A., . "La formación de precios en las empresas colombianas: evidencia a partir de una encuesta directa," Borradores de Economia 569, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carvalho Carlos, 2006. "Heterogeneity in Price Stickiness and the Real Effects of Monetary Shocks," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-58, December.
- Friedman, Milton, 1977. "Nobel Lecture: Inflation and Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 451-72, June.
- Zeinab Partow, 1995. "Una Revisión De La Literatura Sobre Los Costos De La Inflación," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003726, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:009434. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.