Testing Monthly Seasonal Unit Roots With Monthly and Quarterly Information
This paper proposes a method for testing seasonal unit roots that combines monthly and quarterly Hylleberg, Engle, Granger and Yoo (HEGY) tests. The new approach is more powerful than the method that does not use quarterly information, i.e. the monthly HEGY test. An empirical illustration of the proposed approach is given for monthly US Industrial Production. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0143-9782|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haldrup, Niels Prof. & Montanes, Antonio & SansÃ³, Andreu, 2000.
"Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt0gw7q9hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Haldrup, Niels & Montanes, Antonio & Sanso, Andreu, 2005. "Measurement errors and outliers in seasonal unit root testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 103-128, July.
- Niels Haldrup & Antonio Montanés & Andreu Sanso, . "Measurement Errors and Outliers in Seasonal Unit Root Testing," Economics Working Papers 2000-8, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Smith, Jeremy & Otero, Jesus, 1997.
"Structural breaks and seasonal integration,"
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 13-19, September.
- Smith, J. & Otero, J., 1995. "Structural Breaks and Seasonal Integration," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 435, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Rodrigues, P.M.M. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2003.
"A sequential approach to testing seasonal unit roots in high frequency data,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2003-14, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Paulo Rodrigues & Philip Hans Franses, 2005. "A sequential approach to testing seasonal unit roots in high frequency data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(6), pages 555-569.
- Joseph Beaulieu, J. & Miron, Jeffrey A., 1993.
"Seasonal unit roots in aggregate U.S. data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 305-328.
- Canova, Fabio & Hansen, Bruce E, 1995. "Are Seasonal Patterns Constant over Time? A Test for Seasonal Stability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 237-52, July.
- Breitung, J rg & Franses, Philip Hans, 1998.
"On Phillips Perron-Type Tests For Seasonal Unit Roots,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 200-221, April.
- J. Breitung & P. H. Franses, 1996. "On Phillips-Perron Type Tests for Seasonal Unit Roots," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,27, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hannan, E J & Terrell, R D & Tuckwell, N E, 1970. "The Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(1), pages 24-52, February.
- Jeffrey A. Miron, 1996.
"The Economics of Seasonal Cycles,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262133237, June.
- Harvey, David I. & van Dijk, Dick, 2006. "Sample size, lag order and critical values of seasonal unit root tests," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2734-2751, June.
- H. Niemi, 1984. "The invertibility of sampled and aggregated ARMA models," Metrika- International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 43-50, December.
- Franses, Philip Hans, 1991. "Moving average filters and unit roots," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 399-403, December.
- Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2002. "On LM type tests for seasonal unit roots in quarterly data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 176-195, June.
- Granger, C.W.J. & Siklos, P.L., 1993.
"Systematic Sampling, Temporal Aggregation, Seasonal Adjustment, and Cointegration: Theory and Evidence,"
93001, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Siklos, Pierre L., 1995. "Systematic sampling, temporal aggregation, seasonal adjustment, and cointegration theory and evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 357-369.
- Uwe Hassler & Paulo M. M. Rodrigues, 2004.
"Seasonal Unit Root Tests Under Structural Breaks,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 33-53, 01.
- Ghysels,Eric & Osborn,Denise R., 2001.
"The Econometric Analysis of Seasonal Time Series,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521562607, june. pag.
- da Silva Lopes, Artur C. B., 2001. "The robustness of tests for seasonal differencing to structural breaks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 173-179, May.
- Caner, Mehmet, 1998. "A Locally Optimal Seaosnal Unit-Root Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 349-56, July.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Philip Hans Franses & Timothy J. Vogelsang, 1998. "On Seasonal Cycles, Unit Roots, And Mean Shifts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 231-240, May.
- Taylor, A M Robert, 2003. "Robust Stationarity Tests in Seasonal Time Series Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 156-63, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jtsera:v:27:y:2006:i:2:p:191-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.