Consumer's Environmental Awareness and the Role of (Green) Entrepreneurship: Lessons from Environmental Quality Competition and R&D Activities for Environmental Policy
In the recent last years, in particular in the aftermath of the global financial and economic crisis, many countries initiated economic recovery plans with a major focus on stimulating green entrepreneurial activities to revive economic growth. Further, the recovery plans intend to improve a country's awareness for a direct orientation towards (strong) sustainability and green growth. Before discussing strategies towards green growth, in this paper we propose a novel framework to increase our understanding of the interplay of process R&D activities, the strategic price and environmental quality setting of heterogeneous entrepreneurs in a market where consumers feel up to paying for environmental quality improvement of a vertically differentiated good. In the paper we decompose an entrepreneur's incentive conducting process R&D in four parts. In particular we show that an entrepreneur's incentive of conducting own process R&D is reduced due to the existence of knowledge-spillovers. Moreover, due to the strategic complementarities, both in prices as well as in environmental quality, a strategic effect reinforces the negative consequences of the spillover-effect. We show that the externalities in the model require corrections based upon a mixture of fiscal policies and a process R\&D subvention scheme establishing a first-best solution. We further thoroughly discuss the implementation of a second-best solution and derive environmental policy implications.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-1137, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, "undated". "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dorothée Brécard, 2011. "Environmental Tax in a Green Market," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 49(3), pages 387-403, July.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992.
"A Model of Growth through Creative Destruction,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 323-351, March.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Amir, Rabah, 2000.
"Modelling imperfectly appropriable R&D via spillovers,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 1013-1032, October.
- Rabah Amir, 1998. "Modelling Imperfectly Appropriable R&D via Spillovers," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Klaus Conrad, 2005. "Price Competition and Product Differentiation When Consumers Care for the Environment," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 31(1), pages 1-19, May.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-690, September.
- Symeonidis, George, 2003. "Comparing Cournot and Bertrand equilibria in a differentiated duopoly with product R&D," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 39-55, January.
- José Moraga-González & Noemi Padrón-Fumero, 2002. "Environmental Policy in a Green Market," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(3), pages 419-447, July.
- Vincent Duwicquet & Jacques Mazier & Pascal Petit & Jamel Saadaoui, 2015. "The Future of the Euro," Post-Print hal-01399157, HAL.
- Eriksson, Clas, 2004. "Can green consumerism replace environmental regulation?--a differentiated-products example," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 281-293, September.
- Motta, Massimo, 1993. "Endogenous Quality Choice: Price vs. Quantity Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 113-131, June.
- Luca Lambertini & Raimondello Orsini, 2005.
"Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 71(4), pages 367-381.
- Luca LAMBERTINI & Raimondello ORSINI, 2005. "Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2005041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Charles Edquist & Leif Hommen & Maureen McKelvey, 2001. "Innovation and Employment," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2138.
- Toshimitsu, Tsuyoshi, 2003. "Optimal R&D policy and endogenous quality choice," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1159-1178, October.
- Andrea Vaona & Mario Pianta, 2008.
"Firm Size and Innovation in European Manufacturing,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 283-299, March.
- Vaona, Andrea & Pianta, Mario, 2006. "Firm size and innovation in European manufacturing," Kiel Working Papers 1284, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Suzumura, Kotaro, 1992. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in an Oligopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1307-1320, December.
- Jürgen Antony & Torben Klarl & Alfred Maußner, 2012.
"Firm heterogeneity, credit constraints, and endogenous growth,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 105(3), pages 199-224, April.
- Jürgen Antony & Torben Klarl & Alfred Maußner, 2010. "Firm Heterogeneity, Credit Constraints, and Endogenous Growth," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_045, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Torben Klarl & Alfred Maussner, 2010. "Firm Heterogeneity, Credit Constraints, and Endogenous Growth," Discussion Paper Series 311, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- G. Ecchia & L. Lambertini, 1998. "Market Coverage and the Existence of Equilibrium in a Vertically Differentiated Duopoly," Working Papers 311, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Stephen Hammer & Lamia Kamal-Chaoui & Alexis Robert & Marissa Plouin, 2011. "Cities and Green Growth: A Conceptual Framework," OECD Regional Development Working Papers 2011/8, OECD Publishing.
- Aidt, Toke S., 1998. "Political internalization of economic externalities and environmental policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131.
- Lin, Ping & Saggi, Kamal, 2002. "Product differentiation, process R&D, and the nature of market competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 201-211, January.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- David B. Audretsch, 2007. "From small business promotion to creating an entrepreneurial society," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 8(2), pages 3-6, July.
- Dorothée Brécard, 2008. "Une note sur la taxation ad valorem des produits polluants sur un marché vert," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 59(3), pages 487-496.
- Dorothée Brécard, 2013. "Environmental Quality Competition and Taxation in the Presence of Green Network Effect Among Consumers," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, November.
- C. Lombardini-Riipinen, 2005. "Optimal Tax Policy under Environmental Quality Competition," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(3), pages 317-336, November.
- Boone, Jan, 2001. "Intensity of competition and the incentive to innovate," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 705-726, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc13:79729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.