Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly
We investigate positional effects in a vertically differentiated duopoly, evaluated against the first best. Positional concerns distort the allocation of consumers across varieties, as well as the average quality. If the external effect is sufficiently relevant, the resulting welfare loss is increasing in the extent of the externality itself. The beneficial effect of regulation through a minimum quality standard is analysed.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1993.
"Commodity Taxation in a Differentiated Oligopoly,"
IDEI Working Papers
25, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- CREMER, Helmut & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1992. "Commodity taxation in a differentiated oligopoly," CORE Discussion Papers 1992035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, H. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Commodity taxation in a differentiated oligopoly," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lambertini, Luca & Orsini, Raimondello, 2002. "Vertically Differentiated Monopoly with a Positional Good," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 151-63, June.
- Ecchia, Giulio & Lambertini, Luca, 1997.
"Minimum Quality Standards and Collusion,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 101-13, March.
- Lambertini, Luca & Mosca, Manuela, 1999. "On the Regulation of a Vertically Differentiated Market," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 354-66, December.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Bernheim, B Douglas, 1996. "Veblen Effects in a Theory of Conspicuous Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 349-73, June.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1992.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
92.g, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991. "Duopoly and Quality Standards," Cahiers de recherche 9128, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991. "Duopoly and Quality Standards," Cahiers de recherche 9128, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Uri Ronnen, 1991. "Minimum Quality Standards, Fixed Costs, and Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(4), pages 490-504, Winter.
- Luca LAMBERTINI, 1997.
"The multiproduct monopolist under vertical differentiation : An inductive approach,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1997021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Luca Lambertini, 1995. "The Multiproduct Monopolist Under Vertical Differentiations: an Inductive Approach," Working Papers 226, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1987. "Monopoly, quality uncertainty and 'status' goods," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 435-446.
- Ireland, Norman J., 1994. "On limiting the market for status signals," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 91-110, January.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvre:2005041. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastien SCHILLINGS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.