Cutting too Close? Design Protection and Innovation in Fashion Goods
Continued lobbying by high-end, American designers for intellectual property-type fashion design protection has culminated in the proposed Innovative Design Protection and Piracy Prevention Act, intended to introduce EU standards. Using a sequential, 2-firm, vertical differentiation framework, we analyze the effects of protection on investment in innovative designs by high-quality (‘designer’) and lower-quality (‘mass-market’) firms when the mass-marketer may opt to imitate, consumers prefer trendsetting designs and firms compete in prices. We show that design protection, by transforming mass-marketers from imitators to innovators, may reduce both designer profits and welfare. The model provides possible explanations for the dearth of EU case law and the increase in designer/mass-marketer collaborations.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghazzai Hend & Lahmandi-Ayed Rim, 2009. "Vertical Differentiation, Social Networks and Compatibility Decisions," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-23, June.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2007.
"Cooperation in Product Development and Process R&D Between Competitors,"
Working Paper Series
rwp07-056, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, PInar, 2010. "Cooperation in product development and process R&D between competitors," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 176-190, March.
- M. Bourreau & P. Dogan, . "Cooperation in Product Development and Process R&D Between Competitors," Working Paper 33645, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Bourreau, Marc & Dogan, Pinar, 2010. "Cooperation in Product Development and Process R&D Between Competitors," Scholarly Articles 4863170, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Caulkins, Jonathan P. & Hartl, Richard F. & Kort, Peter M. & Feichtinger, Gustav, 2007.
"Explaining fashion cycles: Imitators chasing innovators in product space,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1535-1556, May.
- Caulkins, J.P. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Feichtinger, G., 2007. "Explaining fashion cycles : Imitators chasing innovators in product space," Other publications TiSEM dde09384-56b5-4b80-a718-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lambertini, Luca & Orsini, Raimondello, 2002. "Vertically Differentiated Monopoly with a Positional Good," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 151-63, June.
- GRILO, Isabel & SHY, Oz & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1518, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grilo, Isabel & Shy, Oz & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2001. "Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 385-408, June.
- GRILO, Isabel & SHY, Oz & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1997. "Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity," CORE Discussion Papers 1997032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pesendorfer, Wolfgang, 1995.
"Design Innovation and Fashion Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 771-92, September.
- Takeyama, Lisa N, 1994. "The Welfare Implications of Unauthorized Reproduction of Intellectual Property in the Presence of Demand Network Externalities," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 155-66, June.
- Boone, J. & Shapiro, J., 2006.
"Selling to Consumers with Endogenous Types,"
2006-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan Boone & Joel Shapiro, 2006. "Selling to consumers with endogenous types," Economics Working Papers 992, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Boone, Jan & Shapiro, Joel, 2006. "Selling to Consumers with Endogenous Types," CEPR Discussion Papers 5862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cowan, R. & Cowan, W. & Swann, P., 1996.
"A Model of Demand with Interactions Among Consumers,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9609, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Cowan, Robin & Cowan, William & Swann, Peter, 1997. "A model of demand with interactions among consumers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 711-732, October.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1899. "The Theory of the Leisure Class," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1899.
- Anette Boom & Pio Baake, .
"Vertical Product Differentiation, Network Externalities, and Compatibility Decisions,"
010, Departmental Working Papers.
- Baake, Pio & Boom, Anette, 2001. "Vertical product differentiation, network externalities, and compatibility decisions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 267-284, January.
- Coelho, Philip R P & McClure, James E, 1993. "Toward an Economic Theory of Fashion," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(4), pages 595-608, October.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Bernheim, B Douglas, 1996. "Veblen Effects in a Theory of Conspicuous Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 349-73, June.
- Schmidt, Robert C., 2009. "Welfare in differentiated oligopolies with more than two firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 501-507, July.
- Corneo, Giacomo & Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Conspicuous consumption, snobbism and conformism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 55-71, October.
- Comino, Stefano & Manenti, Fabio M. & Nicolò, Antonio, 2011. "Ex-ante licensing in sequential innovations," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 388-401.
- H. Leibenstein, 1950. "Bandwagon, Snob, and Veblen Effects in the Theory of Consumers' Demand," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 183-207.
- Luca Lambertini & Raimondello Orsini, 2005.
"Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 71(4), pages 367-381.
- Luca LAMBERTINI & Raimondello ORSINI, 2005. "Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2005041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Insaf Bekir & Sana El Harbi & Gilles Grolleau, 2012. "The strategy of raising counterfeiters’ costs in luxury markets," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 645-661, June.
- Jonathan M. Barnett & Gilles Grolleau & Sana El Harbi, 2010. "The Fashion Lottery: Cooperative Innovation in Stochastic Markets," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 159-200, 01.
- Frijters, Paul, 1998. "A model of fashions and status," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 501-517, October.
- Andrea Di Liddo & Steffen Jrgensen, 2006. "Design Imitation in the Fashion Industry," Quaderni DSEMS 06-2006, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3716. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.