Price Competition in a Duopoly Characterized by Positional Effects
We examine the price decisions in a vertically differentiated duopoly where the decision to buy a good depends not only upon the intrinsic utility from consuming it but also upon the social attributes (prestige, uniqueness etc.) associated with its consumption. These social attributes are especially important in vertically differentiated markets. We show that when these attributes are not very strong, if their intensity increases, the profits of both firms increase. However, when these attributes are very important, if their intensity increases, the profits of the firm that offers a lower quality variant increase whereas the profits of the firm that offers the higher quality variant decrease. Our results have implications on the amount of persuasive advertising firms should conduct in such markets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng Yi-Ling & Peng Shin-Kun & Tabuchi Takatoshi, 2011.
"Multiproduct Duopoly with Vertical Differentiation,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Yi-Ling Cheng & Shin-Kun Peng & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2010. "Multiproduct Duopoly with Vertical Differentiation," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-739, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yi-Ling Cheng & Shin-Kun Peng & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2010. "Multiproduct Duopoly with Vertical Di¤erentiation," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 10-A004, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2008:i:34:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- George Deltas & Thanasis Stengos & Eleftherios Zacharias, 2011.
"Product line pricing in a vertically differentiated oligopoly,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 907-929, August.
- George Deltas & Thanasis Stengos & Eleftherios Zacharias, 2010. "Product Line Pricing in a Vertically Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Paper Series 14_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- George Deltas & Thanasis Stengos & Eleftherios Zacharias, 2010. "Product Line Pricing in a Vertically Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Papers 1010, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Luca Lambertini & Raimondello Orsini, 2005.
"Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 71(4), pages 367-381.
- Luca LAMBERTINI & Raimondello ORSINI, 2005. "Positional effects, product quality and regulation in duopoly," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2005041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Basu, Kaushik, 1987. "Monopoly, quality uncertainty and 'status' goods," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 435-446.
- GRILO, Isabel & SHY, Oz & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 1997.
"Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grilo, Isabel & Shy, Oz & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2001. "Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 385-408, June.
- Jing, Bing, 2007. "Network externalities and market segmentation in a monopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 7-13, April.
- Daniel KrÃ¤hmer, 2006. "Advertising and Conspicuous Consumption," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 162(4), pages 661-682, December.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979. "Price competition, quality and income disparities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Lambertini, Luca & Orsini, Raimondello, 2002. "Vertically Differentiated Monopoly with a Positional Good," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 151-63, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:net:wpaper:1221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Economides)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.