Newspaper vs. online advertising - Is there a niche for newspapers in modern advertising markets?
Newspapers have been experiencing declining circulation figures and advertising revenues for several years. Declining advertising figures, in particular, pose a threat to newspapers - this is especially severe in the U.S. where 73 per cent of newspapers' revenues are generated through advertising. Many companies have expanded their advertising expenditures to online. Consequently, there are concerns about online advertising substituting newspaper advertising - much the same as has long been feared with regard to readership. Both possible effects might pose a threat to the continuing existence of (print) newspapers. However, though the internet - compared to newspapers - offers a variety of advantages for advertising companies, substitution tendencies cannot be generalized. In particular, we argue that newspaper advertising offers great benefits for the retailing industry. Thus, we believe that retail advertising offers a niche for regional and local newspapers that can be expected to represent a sustainable segment of complementarity within the otherwise predominantly substitutional advertising markets. The paper substantiates this argument by applying the economic theory of advertising - specifically the differentiation between persuasive/complementary and informative advertising. The latter presents the reason for retailers to continue advertising in newspapers. We conclude that no complete substitution between newspaper and online advertising can be expected to take place in the foreseeable future.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0 36 77 / 69 - 40 30
Fax: (0049) (0)3677 69 4200
Web page: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus, 2008. "Wettbewerb als Aufgabe und Problem auf Medienmaerkten: Fallstudien aus Sicht der "Theorie zweiseitiger Maerkte"," Working Paper 78/2008, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- George Lisa M, 2008. "The Internet and the Market for Daily Newspapers," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-33, July.
- Ioana Chioveanu, 2005.
"Advertising, Brand Loyalty and Pricing,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
639.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2006.
"Media Bias and Reputation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(2), pages 280-316, April.
- Bergemann, Dirk & Bonatti, Alessandro, 2010.
"Targeting in Advertising Markets: Implications for Offline vs. Online Media,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dirk Bergemann & Alessandro Bonatti, 2010. "Targeting in Advertising Markets: Implications for Offline vs. Online Media," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1758, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dirk Bergemann & Alessandro Bonatti, 2010. "Targeting in Advertising Markets: Implications for Offline vs. Online Media," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1758R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 2010.
- Dirk Bergemann & Alessandro Bonatti, 2010. "Targeting in Advertising Markets: Implications for Offline vs. Online Media," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000284, David K. Levine.
- Boyer, Kenneth D, 1974. "Informative and Goodwill Advertising," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 541-48, November.
- Ferguson, James M, 1983. "Daily Newspaper Advertising Rates, Local Media Cross-Ownership, Newspaper Chains, and Media Competition," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 635-54, October.
- Justin P. Johnson & David P. Myatt, 2006.
"On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 756-784, June.
- David P. Myatt & Justin P. Johnson, 2004. "On the Simple Economics of Advertising, Marketing, and Product Design," Economics Series Working Papers 185, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ulrich Doraszelski & Sarit Markovich, 2007. "Advertising dynamics and competitive advantage," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(3), pages 557-592, 09.
- David S. Evans, 2009. "The Online Advertising Industry: Economics, Evolution, and Privacy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 37-60, Summer.
- Anderson, Simon P & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 2005.
"The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5223, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Gabszewicz, Jean J., 2006. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, Elsevier.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., . "The media and advertising: a tale of two-sidedmarkets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1888, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simon P., ANDERSON & Jean J., GABSZEWICZ, 2005. "The media and advertising : a table of two-sided markets," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005060, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., 2005. "The media and advertising : a tale of two-sided markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2005088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. G. Telser, 1968. "Some Aspects of the Economics of Advertising," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41, pages 166.
- Lindstädt, Nadine & Budzinski, Oliver, 2012.
"Newspaper and internet display advertising - co-existence or substitution?,"
Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers
74, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Nadine Lindstädt & Oliver Budzinski, 2012. "Newspaper and Internet Display Advertising – Co-Existence or Substitution?," Working Papers 114/12, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Matthew Gentzkow, 2007. "Valuing New Goods in a Model with Complementarity: Online Newspapers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 713-744, June.
- Avi Goldfarb & Catherine Tucker, 2011. "Search Engine Advertising: Channel Substitution When Pricing Ads to Context," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(3), pages 458-470, March.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Song, Minjae, 2009. "Do media consumers really dislike advertising? An empirical assessment of the role of advertising in print media markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 292-301, March.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Advertising as a Good or Bad," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 941-64, November.
- Dewenter, Ralf, 2003. "The Economics of Media Markets," Working Paper 10/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Seldon, Barry J. & Tremblay, Victor J., 2004. "Advertising efficiency and the choice of media mix: a case of beer," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 503-522, April.
- Hsiang Iris Chyi & Dominic Lasorsa, 2002. "An Explorative Study on the Market Relation Between Online and Print Newspapers," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 91-106.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuiedp:73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.