Reemployment rates over the life course: Is there still hope after late career job loss?
The labor market situation for elderly job searchers is more difficult than for their younger counterparts. To identify patterns in the reemployment of the elderly, we analyze the employment histories of about 113.000 male job searchers in West-Germany. The analysis is based on a hazard rate model with piecewise constant intensities. We focus on age-specific reemployment rates. Individual characteristics, labor market indicators as well as the influence of the previous employment history on reemployment are accounted for. As expected, reemployment rates decline with age. Between 1975 and 1995, the negative impact of age on reemployment chances increases significantly. The obsolescence of human capital seems to play a decisive role for reemployment, especially for engineering occupations: From age 50 on, the negative age effect is significantly stronger than for other occupations.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ulmenstr. 69, 18057 Rostock|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-rostock.de/en/econ/department-of-economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 2001.
"Reemployment Probabilities and Returns to Matching,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 716-41, July.
- Petrongolo, Barbara, 1999. "Re-Employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," CEPR Discussion Papers 2266, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo, 1998. "Re-employment Probabilities and Returns to Matching," CEP Discussion Papers dp0406, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arne Uhlendorff & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2014.
"Unemployment Dynamics among Migrants and Natives,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 81(322), pages 348-367, 04.
- Uhlendorff, Arne & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2006. "Unemployment Dynamics among Migrants and Natives," CEPR Discussion Papers 5872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uhlendorff, Arne & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2006. "Unemployment Dynamics among Migrants and Natives," IZA Discussion Papers 2299, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arne Uhlendorff & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2006. "Unemployment Dynamics among Migrants and Natives," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 617, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Chan, Sewin & Stevens, Ann Huff, 2001. "Job Loss and Employment Patterns of Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 484-521, April.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Narendranathan, Wiji & Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Modelling the process of job search," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 29-49, April.
- BÃ¶rsch-Supan, Axel & DÃ¼zgÃ¼n, Ismail & Weiss, Matthias, 2005. "Altern und ProduktivitÃ¤t: Zum Stand der Forschung," MEA discussion paper series 05073, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- van den Berg, Gerard J, 1990.
"Search Behaviour, Transitions to Nonparticipation and the Duration of Unemployment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 842-65, September.
- van den Berg, G., 1988. "Search behaviour, transitions to nonparticipation and the duration of unemployment," Research Memorandum 01393d23-5b79-44ba-b971-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lüdemann, Elke & Wilke, Ralf A. & Zhang, Xuan, 2004.
"Censored Quantile Regressions and the Length of Unemployment Periods in West Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-57, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Elke Lüdemann & Ralf Wilke & Xuan Zhang, 2006. "Censored quantile regressions and the length of unemployment periods in West Germany," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 1003-1024, November.
- Xuan, Zhang & Wilke, Ralf A. & Lüdemann, Elke, 2005. "Censored Quantile Regressions and the Length of Unemployment Periods in West Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-57 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Barry T. Hirsch & David A. Macpherson & Melissa A. Hardy, 2000. "Occupational Age Structure and Access for Older Workers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(3), pages 401-418, April.
- Hutchens, Robert, 1986. "Delayed Payment Contracts and a Firm's Propensity to Hire Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(4), pages 439-57, October.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Eichhorst, Werner, 2006. "Beschäftigung Älterer in Deutschland: Der unvollständige Paradigmenwechsel," IZA Discussion Papers 1985, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jennifer Hunt, 2004. "Convergence and determinants of non-employment durations in Eastern and Western Germany," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 249-266, 06.
- Bruder, Jana & Frosch, Katharina, 2006. "Foreign nationality and age: A double drawback for reemployment in Germany?," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 63, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Trivedi, P K & Alexander, J N, 1989. "Reemployment Probability and Multiple Unemployment Spells: A Partial-Likelihood Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 395-401, July.
- Steiner, Viktor, 2001. " Unemployment Persistence in the West German Labour Market: Negative Duration Dependence or Sorting?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(1), pages 91-113, February.
- McGregor, Alan, 1978. "Unemployment Duration and Re-Employment Probability," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 693-706, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:roswps:64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.