A Level Playing Field – An Optimal Weighting Scheme of Dismissal Protection Characteristics
In the case of collective redundancies, employers are forced to regard certain characteristics when deciding who is going to be dismissed. This paper develops a procedure to derive an empirical-based weighting scheme between the characteristics relevant for this selection (age, disability, dependencies and tenure). First, panel data from the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) for the years 1991-2010 is used to estimate, conditional on the existence of dismissal protection, the relationships of the four characteristics with respect to reemployment probabilities and the quality of the new job (measured in terms of wage). Second, the individual valuation of the two outcomes is compared applying a life satisfaction analysis. Finally, based on the empirical results a weighting scheme for the characteristics is proposed, which serves as an evidence based guideline for employers, employees and unions in the process of collective redundancies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2003.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 24(1), pages 85-129, January.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004.
"Dismissal protection and worker flows in small establishments,"
IAB Discussion Paper
200401, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Thomas K. Bauer & Stefan Bender & Holger Bonin, 2007. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 804-821, November.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 1105, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," CEPR Discussion Papers 4379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chan, Sewin & Stevens, Ann Huff, 2001. "Job Loss and Employment Patterns of Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 484-521, April.
- Henry S. Farber, 2005. "What do we know about job loss in the United States? evidence from the displaced workers survey, 1984-2004," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 13-28.
- repec:pri:indrel:dsp017h149p863 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1979. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1249-66, September.
- Muhleisen, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1994. "A panel analysis of job changes and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 793-801, April.
- Dario Sciulli & Antonio Menezes & José Vieira, 2012.
"Unemployment Duration and Disability: Evidence from Portugal,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 21-48, March.
- Sciulli, Dario & Menezes, Antonio & Vieira, José António Cabral, 2007. "Unemployment Duration and Disability: Evidence from Portugal," IZA Discussion Papers 3028, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Maciej Bukowski & Piotr Lewandowski, 2005. "Transitions from unemployment in Poland: a multinomial logit analysis," Labor and Demography 0511008, EconWPA, revised 07 Dec 2005.
- Adriana D. Kugler & Gilles Saint-Paul, 2004. "How Do Firing Costs Affect Worker Flows in a World with Adverse Selection?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(3), pages 553-584, July.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Frosch, Katharina, 2006. "Reemployment rates over the life course: Is there still hope after late career job loss?," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 64, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Maurice J. Mazerolle & Gangaram Singh, 2004. "Economic and Social Correlates of Re-Employment," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(3), pages 717-730, 07.
- repec:zbw:rwirep:0410 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roberto G. Gutierrez, 2002. "Parametric frailty and shared frailty survival models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 22-44, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.