The finance-growth nexus revisited: From origins to a modern theoretical landscape
The paper is a survey of theoretical and empirical approaches applied to analyze the impact of financial system on economic growth. The key issues of the modern theories of the finance-growth nexus are discussed and the theories are classified on the basis of the methodology they rely on. The paper extends earlier overviews of the topic, tracking and seeking to explain an inherent logic of this research program, its evolution, and some issues not covered in other surveys such as the finance-growth nexus in resource rich economies. The challenges this research program is facing are also identified.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Augier, Laurent & Soedarmono, Wahyoe, 2010.
"Threshold Effect and Financial Intermediation in Economic Development,"
20494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laurent Augier & Wahyoe Soedarmono, 2011. "Threshold Effect and Financial Intermediation in Economic Development," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 342-357.
- Soedarmono, Wahyoe & Augier, Laurent, 2009. "Threshold Effect and Financial Intermediation in Economic Development," MPRA Paper 14905, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laurent Augier & Wahyoe Soedarmono, 2011. "Threshold Effect and Financial Intermediation in Economic Development," Post-Print hal-00785204, HAL.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992.
"Technological choice, financial markets and economic development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 763-781, May.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1990. "Technological Choice, Financial Markets and Economic Development," DELTA Working Papers 90-30, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- James B. Ang, 2008.
"A Survey Of Recent Developments In The Literature Of Finance And Growth,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 536-576, 07.
- James B. Ang, 2007. "A Survey Of Recent Developments In The Literature Of Finance And Growth," Monash Economics Working Papers 03-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Hodler, Roland, 2014.
"Do Natural Resource Revenues Hinder Financial Development? The Role of Political Institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 101-113.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Roland Hodler, 2010. "Do Natural Resource Revenues Hinder Financial Development? The Role of Political Institutions," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-40, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Bhattacharyya, Sambit & Hodler, Roland, 2011. "Do Natural Resource Revenues Hinder Financial Development? The Role of Political Institutions," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 11, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Roland Hodler, 2010. "Do Natural Resource Revenues Hinder Financial Development?� The Role of Political Institutions," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2010-40, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Roland Hodler, 2010. "Do Natural Resource Revenues Hinder Financial Development? The role of political Institutions," OxCarre Working Papers 053, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Ghani, Ejaz, 1992. "How financial markets affect long run growth : a cross country study," Policy Research Working Paper Series 843, The World Bank.
- Deidda, Luca & Fattouh, Bassam, 2002.
"Non-linearity between finance and growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 339-345, February.
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2011.
"Finance and growth: Schumpeter might be wrong in our era. New evidence from Meta-analysis,"
32559, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Feb 2013.
- Asongu Simplice, 2013. "Finance and growth: Schumpeter might be wrong in our era. New evidence from Meta-analysis," Working Papers 13/009, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Luintel, Kul B & Khan, Mosahid & Arestis, Philip & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2008.
"Financial Structure and Economic Growth,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2008/3, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Huang, Yongfu, 2010. "Political Institutions and Financial Development: An Empirical Study," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1667-1677, December.
- Bangake, Chrysost & Eggoh, Jude C., 2011.
"Further evidence on finance-growth causality: A panel data analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 176-188, June.
- Chrysost BANGAKE & Comlanvi Jude EGGOH, 2010. "Further Evidence on Finance-Growth Causality: A Panel Data Analysis," Working Papers 671, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Jung, Woo S, 1986. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: International Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 333-46, January.
- Enrico Berkes & Ugo Panizza & Jean-Louis Arcand, 2012.
"Too Much Finance?,"
IMF Working Papers
12/161, International Monetary Fund.
- Maria Fuensanta Morales, 2000.
"Financial Intermediation in a Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0914, Econometric Society.
- Morales, Mar a F., 2003. "Financial Intermediation In A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 363-393, June.
- Maria Fuensanta Morales, 2001. "Financial Intermediation in a Model of Growth through Creative Destruction," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 487.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Panicos Demetriades & Svetlana Andrianova, . "Finance and Growth: What We Know and What We Need To Know," Discussion Papers in Economics 03/15, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Christian Saborowski, 2011. "Can financial development cure the Dutch disease?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 218-236, 07.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Enisse Kharroubi, 2012. "Reassessing the impact of finance on growth," BIS Working Papers 381, Bank for International Settlements.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2010. "Resolution of Banking Crises; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," IMF Working Papers 10/146, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.