The Fading Link? A New Empirical Analysis of the Relationship Between Financial Development and Economic Growth
This paper contributes to the literature on the finance-growth link by presenting new findings based on a new, larger dataset that improves over earlier studies in its greater coverage in terms of time periods and countries, as well as the incorporation of additional control variables like institutional quality and the size of the economy. Our results demonstrate that financial development does not have a statistically significant effect on economic growth. We also find that the economy's size is a statistically significant determinant of growth.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://bfi.uchicago.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Wachtel & Peter L. Rousseau, 2006.
"What is happening to the impact of financial deepening on economic growth?,"
06-15, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2011. "What Is Happening To The Impact Of Financial Deepening On Economic Growth?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 276-288, 01.
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2009. "What is Happening to the Impact of Financial Deepening on Economic Growth?," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0915, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Christophe Hurlin & Baptiste Venet, 2008. "Financial Development and Growth: A Re-Examination using a Panel Granger Causality Test," Working Papers halshs-00319995, HAL.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1998. "Law, Finance, and Firm Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2107-2137, December.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Felix Rioja & Neven Valev, 2004.
"Finance and the Sources of Growth at Various Stages of Economic Development,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(1), pages 127-140, January.
- Neven Valev & Felix Rioja, 2002. "Finance and the Sources of Growth at Various Stages of Economic Development," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0217, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- N M Odhiambo, 2008. "Financial Development in Kenya: a Dynamic Test of the Finance-led Growth Hypothesis," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 13(2), pages 21-36, September.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2004. "Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 55-74, February.
- repec:fth:wobaco:1083 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frank C. Lee & Wulong Gu & Jianmin Tang, 2000. "Economic and Productivity Growth in Canadian Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 168-171, May.
- Howitt, Peter & Mayer-Foulkes, David & Aghion, Philippe, 2005.
"The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence,"
4481509, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2005. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 173-222, January.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004. "The Effects of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_021, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004. "The Effect of Financial Development on Convergence: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 10358, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rousseau, Peter L & Wachtel, Paul, 1998. "Financial Intermediation and Economic Performance: Historical Evidence from Five Industrialized Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 657-78, November.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 2003.
"Trade, Growth, and the Size of Countries,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1995, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Yong Jin Kim & Jong-Wha Lee, 1999.
"Technological Change, Investment in Human Capital, and Economic Growth,"
CID Working Papers
29, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Kim, J.Y. & Lee, J.W., 2000. "Technological Change, investment in Human Capital, and Economic Growth," Papers 29, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Paul Grimes & Deborah Lee, 2000. "Economic education and economic growth," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(4), pages 490-490, December.
- Backus, David K. & Kehoe, Patrick J. & Kehoe, Timothy J., 1992.
"In search of scale effects in trade and growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 377-409, December.
- David Roodman, 2007.
"A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments,"
125, Center for Global Development.
- Rousseau, Peter L. & Wachtel, Paul, 2002. "Inflation thresholds and the finance-growth nexus," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 777-793, November.
- Rioja, Felix & Valev, Neven, 2004. "Does one size fit all?: a reexamination of the finance and growth relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 429-447, August.
- Mouawiya Al-Awad & Nasri Harb, 2005.
"Financial development and economic growth in the Middle East,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1041-1051.
- Harb, Nasri & Al-Awad, Mouawiya, 2005. "Financial Development and Economic Growth in the Middle East," MPRA Paper 13605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Tsangyao Chang & Steven Caudill, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth: the case of Taiwan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 1329-1335.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfi:wpaper:2010-013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toni Shears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.