Panel data model comparison for empirical saving-investment relations
The low capital mobility among OECD countries, signalled by a high saving-investment (SI) relation and known as the Feldstein-Horioka puzzle, has triggered a lively discussion in the empirical literature. In this paper, we compare between, pooled, time and country dependent specifications of the SI relation via cross-validation criteria. It is found that the country dependent model is best performing among the four. Secondly, error correction models are uniformly outperformed by static panel models. Thirdly, via scatter diagrams of cross section specific estimates we observe a different time evolution of SI relations for developed and developing economies.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-24098 Kiel,Wilhelm-Seelig-Platz 1|
Phone: 0431-880 3282
Fax: 0431-880 3150
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-kiel.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coakley, Jerry & Kulasi, Farida, 1997. "Cointegration of long span saving and investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-645, August.
- Balke, Nathan S. & Fomby, Thomas B., 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Working Papers 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992. "The Power of Cointegration Tests," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-348, August.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992. "The power of cointegration tests," International Finance Discussion Papers 431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970. "Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-323, March.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe, 2005. "Limited Time Series With A Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(05), pages 907-945, October.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere, 2003. "Limited time series with a unit root," Quaderni di Dipartimento 1, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1980. "Vignettes on the World Capital Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 331-337, May.
- Murphy, Robert G., 1984. "Capital mobility and the relationship between saving and investment rates in OECD countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 327-342, December.
- Miller, Stephen M., 1988. "Are saving and investment co-integrated?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 31-34.
- Afxentiou, Panos & Serletis, Apostolos, 1993. "International Capital Mobility and the Long-Run Investrnent and Saving in Canada," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 46(2-3), pages 147-167.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-329, June.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979. "Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows," NBER Working Papers 0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Stefan, 1992. "Saving-Investment Correlations and Capital Mobility: On the Evidence from Annual Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1162-1170, September.
- Michael Dooley & Jeffrey Frankel & Donald J. Mathieson, 1987. "International Capital Mobility: What Do Saving-Investment Correlations Tell Us?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(3), pages 503-530, September.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2002. "Current Account Deficits in the Euro Area: The End of the Feldstein Horioka Puzzle?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(2), pages 147-210.
- Martin Feldstein, 1991. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Movements in the Long Run and the Short Run," NBER Chapters,in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 331-353 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1983. "Domestic saving and international capital movements in the long run and the short run," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 129-151.
- Martin Feldstein, 1982. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Movements in the Long Run and the Short Run," NBER Working Papers 0947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Backus, David K & Kehoe, Patrick J & Kydland, Finn E, 1992. "International Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 745-775, August.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1987. "International real business cycles," Working Papers 426, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1991. "International real business cycles," Staff Report 146, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Florian Pelgrin & Sebastian Schich, 2004. "National Saving-Investment Dynamics and International Capital Mobility," Staff Working Papers 04-14, Bank of Canada.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986. "Capital mobility in the world economy: Theory and measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-103, January.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1985. "Capital Mobility in the World Economy: Theory and Measurement," NBER Working Papers 1692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexakis, Panayotis & Apergis, Nicholas, 1994. "The Feldstein-Horioka puzzle and exchange rate regimes: Evidence from cointegration tests," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 459-472, October.
- Ron Smith & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Jerry Coakley, 2001. "Small Sample Properties of Panel Time-series Estimators with I(1) Errors," Working Papers wp01-08, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Jerry Coakley, Ana-Maria Fuertes, Ron Smith, 2001. "Small sample properties of panel time-series estimators with I(1) errors," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 191, Society for Computational Economics.
- Herwartz, Helmut & Xu, Fang, 2006. "Reviewing the sustainability/stationarity of current account imbalances with tests for bounded integration," Economics Working Papers 2006,07, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Fabio Spagnolo, 2004. "The Feldstein-Horioka puzzle is not as bad as you think," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 17, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Amirkhalkhali, Saleh & Dar, Atul A, 1993. "Testing for Capital Mobility: A Random Coefficients Approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 523-541. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)