The Meiselman forward interest rate revision regression as an Affine Term Structure Model
We adapt the Meiselman (1962) OLS forward rate revision framework to obtain the discrete time analogue of the Heath, Jarrow and Morton (1992) specification and use it for estimating and testing term structure models. Our framework is based upon the Wold representation of the factor dynamics and combines the flexibility of the â€˜no arbitrageâ€™ approach used by practitioners for pricing with the time series domain econometrics used in the â€˜equilibrium approachâ€™ by academic researchers. It allows us to estimate the no-arbitrage term structure under the risk-neutral measure without adopting any specific model of the factor dynamics. Using three different datasets we find that our discrete time Heath et al (1992) no-arbitrage model is not rejected against the unrestricted OLS model of Meiselman (1962). We then develop a dynamic term structure model by specifying a model of a risk premium to link the risk neutral dynamics of the cross section to the real-world factor dynamics. We analyse several different models of the dynamics from the ARFIMA class and find that the more flexible models allowing for long memory outperform short memory models and are not rejected against the Heath et al and Meiselman specifications.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley Zin, 1996.
"Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
5638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Backus, David & Foresi, Silverio & Zin, Stanley, 1998. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 13-26, January.
- David K. Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley E. Zin, 1994. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Working Papers 94-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Stanley Zin, 1996. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-8, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Backus, D.K. & Foresi, S. & Zin, S.E., 1994. "Arbitrage Opportunities in Arbitrage-Free Models of Bond Pricing," Papers 95-02, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1997. "LIBOR and swap market models and measures (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 293-330.
- Comte, F. & Renault, E., 1996. "Long memory continuous time models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 101-149, July.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Jacobs, Kris, 1996. "A simple long-memory equilibrium interest rate model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 317-321, December.
- Shea, Gary S, 1991. "Uncertainty and Implied Variance Bounds in Long-Memory Models of the Interest Rate Term Structure," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 287-312.
- René Garcia & Pierre Perron, 1995.
"An Analysis of the Real Interest Rate Under Regime Shifts,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Garcia, Rene & Perron, Pierre, 1996. "An Analysis of the Real Interest Rate under Regime Shifts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 111-25, February.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1990. "An Anlysis Of The Real Interest Rate Under Regime Shifts," Papers 353, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1994. "An Analysis of the Real Interest rate Under Regime Shifts," Cahiers de recherche 9428, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1994. "An Analysis of the Real Interest rate Under Regime Shifts," Cahiers de recherche 9428, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Joann Jasiak & Christian Gourieroux, 2006. "Autoregressive gamma processes," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 129-152.
- Fabrizio Iacone, 2009. "A Semiparametric Analysis of the Term Structure of the US Interest Rates," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(4), pages 475-490, 08.
- Jefferson Duarte, 2004. "Evaluating an Alternative Risk Preference in Affine Term Structure Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 379-404.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2000.
"Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator,"
Staff Working Papers
00-5, Bank of Canada.
- Tkacz Greg, 2001. "Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, December.
- Sydeny C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2005.
"Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia,"
NBER Working Papers
11703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1990. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Discrete Time Approximation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 419-440, December.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 1997. "Arbitrage with Fractional Brownian Motion," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 95-105.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:12/27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.