Estimating the Fractional Order of Integration of Interest Rates Using a Wavelet OLS Estimator
The debate on the order of integration of interest rates has long focused on the I(1) versus I(0) distinction. In this paper we instead use the wavelet OLS estimator of Jensen (1999) to estimate the fractional integration parameters of several interest rates for the United States and Canada from 1948 to 1999. We find that most rates are mean-reverting in the very long run, with the fractional order of integration increasing with the term to maturity. The speeds of mean reversion are lower in Canada, likely because of a positive country-specific risk premium. We also demonstrate that interest rate yield spreads involve noticeable persistence, indicating that these are also not strict I(0) processes. One consequence of these findings is that shocks to most interest rates and their spreads are very long lasting, yet not necessarily infinite.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David K. Backus, 1993.
"Long-Memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
93-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Backus, David K & Zin, Stanley E, 1993. "Long-Memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 681-700, August.
- David K. Backus & Stanley E. Zin, 1993. "Long-memory inflation uncertainty: evidence from the term structure of interest rates," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 681-708.
- David K. Backus & Stanley E. Zin, 1993. "Long-memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pfann, Gerard A. & Schotman, Peter C. & Tschernig, Rolf, 1996.
"Nonlinear interest rate dynamics and implications for the term structure,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 149-176, September.
- G. Pfann & P. Schotman & R. Tschernig, 1994. "Nonlinear Interest Rate Dynamics and Implications for the Term Structure," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1994,43, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990.
"On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter,"
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999. "Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter," MPRA Paper 39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1989. " Common Stochastic Trends in a System of Exchange Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 167-181, March.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1994.
" Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 737-745, June.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, T., 1993. "Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange RAte Dynamics," Papers 9103, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1990. "The Fractional Unit Root Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 495-505, March.
- Estrella, Arturo & Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1991.
" The Term Structure as a Predictor of Real Economic Activity,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 555-576, June.
- Arturo Estrella & Gikas A. Hardouvelis, 1989. "The term structure as a predictor of real economic activity," Research Paper 8907, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- William R. Parke, 1999. "What Is Fractional Integration?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 632-638, November.
- Dolado, Juan J & Jenkinson, Tim & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1990. " Cointegration and Unit Roots," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 249-273.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gardeazabal, Javier & Yilmaz, Kamil, 1994.
" On Cointegration and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 727-735, June.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "A Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 103-112, January.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985.
"A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:5:y:2001:i:1:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.