Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter
We develop an ordinary least squares estimator of the long memory parameter from a fractionally integrated process that is an alternative to the Geweke Porter-Hudak estimator. Using the wavelet transform from a fractionally integrated process, we establish a log-linear relationship between the wavelet coefficients' variance and the scaling parameter equal to the long memory parameter. This log-linear relationship yields a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long memory parameter when the wavelet coefficients' population varinace is replaced by their sample variance. We derive the small sample bias and variance of the ordinary least squares estimator and test it against the Geweke Porter-Hudak estimator and the McCoy Walden maximum likelihood wavelet estimator by conducting a number of Monte Carlo experiments. Based upon the criterion of choosing the estimator which minimizes the mean squared error, the wavelet OLS approach was superior to the Geweke Porter-Hudak estimator, but inferior to the McCoy Walden wavelet estimator for the processes simulated. However, given the simplicity of programming and running the wavelet OLS estimator and its statistical inference of the long memory parameter we feel the general practitioner will be attracted to the wavelet OLS estimator.
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - TeX; prepared on Unix Ultra 100 Solaris 2.5; to print on PostScript; pages: 22 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Backus, David K & Zin, Stanley E, 1993.
"Long-Memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 681-700, August.
- David K. Backus & Stanley E. Zin, 1993. "Long-memory inflation uncertainty: evidence from the term structure of interest rates," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 681-708.
- David K. Backus, 1993. "Long-Memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers 93-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David K. Backus & Stanley E. Zin, 1993. "Long-memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989.
"Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1991.
"Is Consumption Too Smooth? Long Memory and the Deaton Paradox,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 1-9, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1989. "Is consumption too smooth? Long memory and the Deaton paradox," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- C. M. Schmidt & R. Tschernig, 1995. "The Identification of Fractional ARIMA Models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,8, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1994.
" Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 737-45, June.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, T., 1993. "Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange RAte Dynamics," Papers 9103, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Hassler, Uwe & Wolters, Jurgen, 1995. "Long Memory in Inflation Rates: International Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 37-45, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:9710002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.