Financial Crisis and Credit Crunch as a Result of Inefficient Financial Intermediation—with Reference to the Asian Financial Crisis
This paper develops a new model of international private debt financing. It shows the possibility of discontinuity in the amount of financial intermediation when the intermediary is inefficient. The model suggests a mechanism that can generate the following sequence of events: A period of relatively low capital flow despite a steady improvement in economic fundamentals (capital inflow inertia), followed by a fast buildup of capital inflow, and ended with a large capital outflow (crisis), as observed in the recent Asian financial crisis. In addition, there exists a minimum level of economic fundamental strength that can sustain large capital inflows. If the fundamental strength is not far above this minimum level, the economy will be vulnerable to shifts in market sentiment and to even a small deterioration of fundamentals. We use comparative statics to evaluate the pros and cons of various policy responses to the crisis.
|Date of creation:||21 Apr 1998|
|Date of revision:||24 Apr 1998|
|Note:||Type of Document - Postscript/Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC using MiKTeX 1.10; to print on HP Laser Jet; pages: 23 ; figures:2 included. Postscript version prepared using dvips5.76, pdf version prepared from postscript version with ps2pdf.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Richard Agenor & Joshua Aizenman, 1998.
"Volatility and the Welfare Costs of Financial Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
6782, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua, 1998. "Volatility and the welfare costs of financial market integration," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1974, The World Bank.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1997.
"Financial fragility and the exchange rate regime,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
97-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," NBER Working Papers 6469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," Working Papers 98-05, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul R Masson, 1998. "Contagion; Monsoonal Effects, Spillovers, and Jumps Between Multiple Equilibria," IMF Working Papers 98/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chi-Wa Yuen & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1996.
"A Pecking Order Theory of Capital Inflows and International Tax Principles,"
IMF Working Papers
96/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & Yuen, Chi-Wa, 1996. "A Pecking Order Theory of Capital Inflows and International Tax Principles," CEPR Discussion Papers 1381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-419, June.
- By Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Zhaohui Chen, 2001. "Crash-Free Sequencing Strategies for Financial Development and Liberalization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 7-7.
- John B. Shoven & Scott B. Smart & Joel Waldfogel, 1992.
"Real Interest Rates and the Savings and Loan Crisis: The Moral Hazard Premium,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 155-167, Winter.
- John B. Shoven & Scott B. Smart & Joel Waldfogel, 1991. "Real Interest Rates and the Savings and Loan Crisis: The Moral Hazard Premium," NBER Working Papers 3754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 1997. "Capital Flows and the Twin Crises; The Role of Liquidity," IMF Working Papers 97/87, International Monetary Fund.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1992.
"Anatomy of a Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 115-130, August.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2000. "Bubbles and Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 236-255, January.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1999.
"Currency and Banking Crises; The Early Warnings of Distress,"
IMF Working Papers
99/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1998. "Currency and banking crises: the early warnings of distress," International Finance Discussion Papers 629, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999.
"What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Papers 343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
- Zhaohui Chen & Mohsin S. Khan, 1997. "Patterns of Capital Flows to Emerging Markets; A Theoretical Perspective," IMF Working Papers 97/13, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:9804001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.