A Pecking Order Theory of Capital Inflows and International Tax Principles
Even though financial markets today show a high degree of integration, the world capital market is still far from the textbook story of high capital mobility. The failure to have a tax scheme in which the rate of returns across countries are equated can result in inefficient capital flows across countries. This comes from the interactions of market failure and the tax system. The purpose of this paper is to highlight some key sources of market failure in the context of international capital flows and to provide guidelines for efficient tax structure in the presence of capital market imperfections. We distinguish among three main types of international capital flows: foreign portfolio debt investment (FPDI), foreign portfolio equity investment (FPEI), and foreign direct investment (FDI). The paper emphasizes the efficiency of non-uniform tax treatment of the various vehicles of international capital flows.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- Claessens, Stijn, 1995. "The Emergence of Equity Investment in Developing Countries: Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Gordon, Roger H. & Varian, Hal R., 1989.
"Taxation of asset income in the presence of a world securities market,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 205-226, May.
- Roger H. Gordon & Hal R. Varian, 1986. "Taxation of Asset Income in the Presence of a World Securites Market," NBER Working Papers 1994, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1381. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.