An application of Ramsey model in transition economy: a Russian case study
This case study uses the Ramsey model to analyze whether the current electricity prices charged by the natural monopoly Novosibirskenergo in a major industrial region of the Russian Federation are socially optimal. Our estimates of demand elasticities for two major groups of consumers, namely households and industrial users, show that prices are not socially optimal. A decrease in price for industrial users and an increase in price for households would bring the prices closer to socially optimal.
|Date of creation:||03 Jul 2003|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP/PostScript/; pages: 29|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janusz A. Ordover & Russell W. Pittman & Paul Clyde, 1994.
"Competition policy for natural monopolies in a developing market economy 1,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 317-343, 09.
- Janusz Ordover & Russell Pittman & Paul Clyde, 2001. "Competition Policy for Natural Monopolies in a Developing Market Economy," Industrial Organization 0111004, EconWPA.
- David Kerr, 1999. "The Chinese and Russian Energy Sectors: Comparative Change and Potential Interaction," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 337-372.
- Scott, Frank A, Jr, 1986. "Assessing USA Postal Ratemaking: An Application of Ramsey Prices," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 279-290, March.
- Sergei Guriev & Dmitry Kvassov, 2000. "Barter for price discrimination? A theory and evidence from Russia," Working Papers w0007, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Dobbs, Ian M, 1996. "A Robust Methodology for Ramsey Pricing with an Application to UK Postal Services," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 229-247, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpgt:0307003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.