Real exhange rate misalignment in Hungary: a fractionally integrated=20 threshold model
This paper proposes an estimate of the Hungarian real exchange rate=20 misalignments using fractionally integrated threshold models (FI-STARMA and=20= FI-TARMA=20 processes). This allows us to simultaneously take into account two types of=20 persistence: a long memory behavior due to the influence of real factors and= a=20 nonlinear behavior where persistence is associated with regime-dependent eff= ects.=20 Our results suggest that the regime-switching is instantaneous since the=20 FI-TARMA process is adequate to describe the misalignment of the Hungarian=20 Currency.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989.
"Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aparicio F. M. & Escribano A., 1998.
"Information-Theoretic Analysis of Serial Dependence and Cointegration,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(3), pages 1-24, October.
- Escribano, Álvaro & Aparicio, Felipe M., 1997. "Information-theoretic analysis of seral dependence and cointegration," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6208, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Peel, David & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Towards a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P & Peel, David A & Sarno, Lucio, 2001. "Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Toward a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1015-1042, November.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1988.
"Long memory and persistence in aggregate output,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Égert, Balázs, 2002. "Investigating the Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis in transition : Do we understand what we see?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Corrado, Luisa & Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Monitoring Bands: Theory and Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3337, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corrado, L. & Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 2002. "Exchange Rate Monitoring Bands: Theory and Policy," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0209, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Luisa Corrado & Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 2007. "Exchange Rate Monitoring Bands: Theory and Policy," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 146, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2001.
"Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan, 2004. "Real exchange rate dynamics in transition economies," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 83-100, March.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-879, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter B. Clark & Ronald MacDonald, 2000.
"Filtering the Beer; A Permanent and Transitory Decomposition,"
IMF Working Papers
00/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Clark, Peter B. & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "Filtering the BEER: A permanent and transitory decomposition," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-56.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P. & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2004.
"Nonlinear dynamics in deviations from the law of one price: a broad-based empirical study,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2002. "Non-Linear Dynamics in Deviations from the Law of One Price: A Broad-Based Empirical Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 3377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peel, David A & Speight, Alan E H, 1997. "Non-linearities in East European Black-Market Exchange Rates," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & John Barkoulas, 1998.
"Nonlinear Adjustment to Purchasing Power Parity in the post-Bretton Woods Era,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
404., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 16 Nov 1999.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2001. "Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Ronald MacDonald, 1997. "What Determines Real Exchange Rates? The Long and Short of it," IMF Working Papers 97/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Arratibel, Olga & Rodriguez-Palenzuela, Diego & Thimann, Christian, 2002. "Inflation dynamics and dual inflation in accession countries: a 'New Keynesian' perspective," Working Paper Series 0132, European Central Bank.
- Mark J. Holmes & Maghrebi Nabil, 2002. "Non-Linearities, Regime Switching and the Relationship Between Asian Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 121-139.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals; A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Paap, Richard, 2002. "A nonlinear long memory model, with an application to US unemployment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 135-165, October.
- van Dijk, Dick & Teräsvirta, Timo & Franses, Philip Hans, 2000.
"Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models - A Survey of Recent Developments,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
380, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 17 Jan 2001.
- Dick van Dijk & Timo Terasvirta & Philip Hans Franses, 2002. "Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models — A Survey Of Recent Developments," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-47.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Terasvirta, T. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2000. "Smooth transition autoregressive models - A survey of recent developments," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-23/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Balázs Egert, 2002. "Investigating the Balassa-Samuelson hypothesis in the transition: Do we understand what we see? A panel study," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(2), pages 273-309, July.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Taylor Mark P. & Sarno Lucio, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in Transition Economies: A Nonlinear Analysis," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(3), pages 1-26, October.
- Paul De Grauwe & Marianna Grimaldi, 2002. "The Exchange Rate and its Fundamentals. A Chaotic Perspective," CESifo Working Paper Series 639, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0309001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.