Modelling economic high-frequency time series with STAR-STGARCH models
In this paper we introduce the STAR-STGARCH model that can characterize nonlinear behaviour both in the conditional mean and the conditional variance. A modelling cycle for this family of models, consisting of specification, estimation, and evaluation stages is constructed. Misspecification tests for the estimated model are obtained using standard asymptotic distribution theory. We illustrate the actual modelling by applying the STAR-STGARCH model family to two series of daily observations, the Swedish OMX index and the exchange rate JPY-USD.
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- Stefan Reitz & Frank Westerhoff, 2007. "Commodity price cycles and heterogeneous speculators: a STAR–GARCH model," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 231-244, September.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2009.
"Modelling stock returns in Africa's emerging equity markets,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 1-11, March.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2009. "Modelling stock returns in Africa's emerging equity markets," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2009-04, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2009. "Modelling stock returns in Africa’s emerging equity markets," Discussion Paper Series 2009_01, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Jan 2009.
- Jan G. De Gooijer & Kurt Brännäs, 2004. "Asymmetries in conditional mean and variance: modelling stock returns by asMA-asQGARCH," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 155-171.
- Kurt Brännäs & Jan G. de Gooijer, 2000. "Asymmetries in Conditional Mean and Variance: Modelling Stock Returns by asMA-asQGARCH," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-049/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Brännäs, Kurt & de Gooijer, Jan G., 2000. "ASYMMETRIES IN CONDITIONAL MEAN AND VARIANCE: MODELLING STOCK RETURNS BY asMA-asQGARCH," Umeå Economic Studies 535, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Westerhoff Frank H. & Reitz Stefan, 2003. "Nonlinearities and Cyclical Behavior: The Role of Chartists and Fundamentalists," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-15, December.
- Reitz, Stefan & Westerhoff, Frank, 2003. "Nonlinearities and Cyclical Behavior: The Role of Chartists and Fundamentalists," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Areosa, Waldyr Dutra & McAleer, Michael & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2011. "Moment-based estimation of smooth transition regression models with endogenous variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 100-111.
- Areosa, W.D. & McAleer, M.J. & Medeiros, M.C., 2008. "Moment-bases estimation of smooth transition regression models with endogenous variables," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2008-36, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Waldyr Dutra Areosa & Michael McAleer & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2010. "Moment-based estimation of smooth transition regression models with endogenous variables," Textos para discussão 571, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Waldyr Dutra Areosa & Michael McAleer & Marcelo C. Medeiros, 2009. "Moment-Based Estimation of Smooth Transition Regression Models with Endogenous Variables," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-671, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Gilles Dufrenot & Laurent Mathieu & Valerie Mignon & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2006. "Persistent misalignments of the European exchange rates: some evidence from non-linear cointegration," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 203-229.
- G. Dufrenot & L. Mathieu & V. Mignon, & A. Peguin-Feissolle, 2002. "Persistent misalignments of the European exchange rates : some evidence from nonlinear cointegration," THEMA Working Papers 2002-29, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Gilles DUFRENOT & Laurent MATHIEU & Val=E9rie MIGNON & Anne PEGUIN-FEISSOLE, 2003. "Persistent misalignments of the European exchanges rates: some evidence from nonlinear cointegration," International Finance 0309003, EconWPA.
- Gilles Dufrénot & Laurent Mathieu & Valérie Mignon & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2006. "Persistent misalignments of the European exchange rates: some evidence from non-linear cointegration," Post-Print halshs-00256876, HAL.
- Ito, Hiro, 2003. "Was Japanâ€™s Real Interest Rate Really Too High During the 1990s? The Role of the Zero Interest Rate Bound and Other Factors," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt48k5q6vd, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Ito, Hiro, 2003. "Was Japanâ€™s Real Interest Rate Really Too High During the 1990s? The Role of the Zero Interest Rate Bound and Other Factors," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt48k5q6vd, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Rodriguez Gabriel, 2007. "Application of Three Alternative Approaches to Identify Business Cycles in Peru," Working Papers 2007-007, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Kulp-Tåg, Sofie, 2007. "Short-Horizon Asymmetric Mean-Reversion and Overreactions: Evidence from the Nordic Stock Markets," Working Papers 524, Hanken School of Economics.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard H. & Tai, Amanda P.J., 2008. "Testing for nonlinearity in mean and volatility for heteroskedastic models," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 489-499.
- Baur, Dirk G. & Glover, Kristoffer J., 2014. "Heterogeneous expectations in the gold market: Specification and estimation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 116-133.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed