Modeling highly volatile and seasonal markets: evidence from the Nord Pool electricity market
In this paper we address the issue of modeling spot electricity prices. After analyzing factors leading to the unobservable in other financial or commodity markets price dynamics we propose a mean reverting jump diffusion model. We fit the model to data from the Nord Pool power exchange and find that it nearly duplicates the spot price's main characteristics. The model can thus be used for risk management and pricing derivatives written on the spot electricity price.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2003|
|Note:||Type of Document - PDF; prepared on IBM PC - PC-TEX; pages: 10 ; figures: 3 included. Appeared in "The Application of Econophysics", H. Takayasu (ed.), Springer, Tokyo, 2004, pp. 182-191.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Aleksander Janicki & Aleksander Weron, 1994. "Simulation and Chaotic Behavior of Alpha-stable Stochastic Processes," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook9401.
- Weron, Rafal & Przybyłowicz, Beata, 2000.
"Hurst analysis of electricity price dynamics,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 283(3), pages 462-468.
- Rafal Weron & Beata Przybylowicz, 2000. "Hurst analysis of electricity price dynamics," HSC Research Reports HSC/00/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1997. " The Stochastic Behavior of Commodity Prices: Implications for Valuation and Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 923-973, July.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Weron, R. & Kozłowska, B. & Nowicka-Zagrajek, J., 2001. "Modeling electricity loads in California: a continuous-time approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 299(1), pages 344-350. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)