Estimating Exchange Rate Dynamics with Diffusion Processes : An Application to Greek EMU Data
Recently various exchange rate models capturing the dynamics during the transition from an exchange rate arrangement of floating rates into a currency union have been derived. Technically, these stochastic equilibrium models are diffusion processes which have to be estimated by discretely sampled observations. Using daily exchange rate data prior to the Greek EMU-entrance in January 2001 this paper develops a rigorous estimation procedure. The estimates provide statistical evidence of increased central bank intervention activities in the run-up to the Greek EMU entrance. Thus the modelling and estimation framework establishes an approach for detecting intervention phases in the absence of concrete intervention data.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/20
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "How to Fix Conversion Rates at the Start of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1530, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Alexandre Scheinkman, Jose & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Spectral methods for identifying scalar diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Darolles, Serge & Gourieroux, Christian, 2001.
"Truncated dynamics and estimation of diffusion equations,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Serge Darolles & Christian Gourieroux, 1997. "Truncated Dynamics and Estimation of DiffusionEquations," Working Papers 97-36, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib & Neil Shephard, 2000.
"Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2000mf02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Elerain, Ola & Chib, Siddhartha & Shephard, Neil, 2001. "Likelihood Inference for Discretely Observed Nonlinear Diffusions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 959-93, July.
- Neil Shephard & Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib, 1998. "Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Elerian, O. & Chib, S. & Shephard, N., 1998. "Likelihood INference for Discretely Observed Non-linear Diffusions," Economics Papers 146, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Lindberg, Hans & Soderlind, Paul, 1994. "Testing the basic target zone model on Swedish data 1982-1990," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1441-1469, August.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1994. "Speculative Anticipations of Sterling's Return to Gold: Was Keynes Wrong?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 804-12, July.
- Bernd Wilfling, 2003.
"Interest Rate Volatility Prior to Monetary Union under Alternative Pre-Switch Regimes,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 433-457, November.
- Wilfling, Bernd, 2001. "Interest rate volatility prior to monetary union under alternative pre-switch regimes," HWWA Discussion Papers 143, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1982.
"A model of stochastic process switching,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
201, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kenneth A. Froot & Maurice Obstfeld, 1989.
"Stochastic Process Switching: Some Simple Solutions,"
NBER Working Papers
2998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Stochastic Process Switching: Some Simple Solutions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 241-50, January.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1999.
"A Strategy for Launching the Euro,"
NBER Working Papers
6233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1979. "A continuous time approach to the pricing of bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 133-155, July.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Froot, Kenneth & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Stochastic Regime Shifts: A Unified Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
522, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Exchange-rate dynamics under stochastic regime shifts : A unified approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3-4), pages 203-229, November.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Stochastic Regime Shifts: A Unified Approach," NBER Working Papers 2835, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Paul Krugman & Marcus Miller, 1992. "Exchange Rate Targets and Currency Bands," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krug92-1, Abril.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
2481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antzoulatos, Angelos A. & Wilfling, Bernd, 2003. "Exchange and Interest Rates prior to EMU: The Case of Greece," HWWA Discussion Papers 244, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Lindberg, H. & Soderlind, P., 1991. "Testing the Basic Target Zone Model on Swedish Data," Papers 488, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Caballero, Ricardo, 1991. "Sustainable Intervention Policies and Exchange Rate Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 504, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans & Veestraeten, Dirk, 1999. "Price dynamics under stochastic process switching: some extensions and an application to EMU1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 195-224, February.
- Lindbecg, H. Soderlind, P., 1992. "Target Zone Models and the Intervention Policy; The Swedish Case," Papers 496, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Michael J. Brennan and Eduardo S. Schwartz., 1979. "A Continuous-Time Approach to the Pricing of Bonds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 85, University of California at Berkeley.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwadp:267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.