Comment fixer les cours de change?. Annonces et correspondances maastrichtiennes
Comment fixer les cours de change ? Annonces et correspondances maastrichtiennes, by Jean-Sébastien Pentecote and Marc-Alexandre SenegasThis analysis questions the distinction between two exchange rate fixing rules : a « time-dependent" rule under which the exchange rate is fixed at an arbitrarily given date ; a « state-dependent" rule under which the irrevocable switch to a peg occurs when the fundamentals reach a given threshold value. By replacing them in a common analytical framework, we underline the strict equivalence between the two rules if the fundamentals follow a purely deterministic process during the transition. In a broader stochastic context, a correspondence in probabilistic terms prevails between these strategies. This unified approach allows a new assessment of the Maastricht way to EMU as regards exchange rates. In particular, we emphasize some properties of the scenario which was finally adopted by the European monetary authorities.
Volume (Year): 69 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-recherches-economiques-de-louvain.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregor W. Smith & R. Todd Smith, 1996.
"Greenback-Gold Returns and Expectations of Resumption, 1862-1879,"
1255, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Gregor W. & Smith, R. Todd, 1997. "Greenback-Gold Returns and Expectations of Resumption, 1862–1879," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(03), pages 697-717, September.
- Smith, Gregor W & Smith, R Todd, 1990.
"Stochastic Process Switching and the Return to Gold, 1925,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 164-75, March.
- Gregor W. Smith & R. Todd Smith, 1988. "Stochastic Process Switching and the Return to Gold, 1925," Working Papers 723, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1982.
"A model of stochastic process switching,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
201, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles R. Bean, 1992.
"Economic and Monetary Union in Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 31-52, Fall.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Alan C. Stockman, 1983.
NBER Working Papers
1230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1994. "Speculative Anticipations of Sterling's Return to Gold: Was Keynes Wrong?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 804-12, July.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1991.
"Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-82, August.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1997.
"A Strategy for Launching the Euro,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1732, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Djajic, Slobodan, 1989. "Dynamics of the exchange rate in anticipation of pegging," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 559-571, December.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1995. "State- and time-contingent switches of exchange rate regime," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 361-374, May.
- Paul Krugman & Marcus Miller, 1992. "Exchange Rate Targets and Currency Bands," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krug92-1, May.
- Kristen L. Willard & Timothy W. Guinnane & Harvey S. Rosen, 1995.
"Turning Points in the Civil War: Views from the Greenback Market,"
NBER Working Papers
5381, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willard, Kristen L & Guinnane, Timothy W & Rosen, Harvey S, 1996. "Turning Points in the Civil War: Views from the Greenback Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1001-18, September.
- Smith, Gregor W, 1991. "Solution to a Problem of Stochastic Process Switching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 237-39, January.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1990. "Britain's Return to Gold and Entry into the EMS: Expectations, Joining Conditions and Credibility," CEPR Discussion Papers 465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Dewachter, Hans & Veestraeten, Dirk, 1998. "Stochastic Process Switching and Stage III of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1783, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reldbu:rel_691_0039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.