Economists often describe nominal exchange rates as forward-looking, so that they reflect discounted, expected, future fundamentals. This study applies a method for identifying the discount rate involved, without knowing or measuring fundamentals. Identification arises from assumptions on the stochastic process followed by fundamentals, combined with nonlinearity arising from expected future regime changes. Two applications yield evidence against the present-value model in the form of discount rates which are negative and statistically significant.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1995|
|Publication status:||forthcoming in the Journal of International Money and Finance|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Gregor W. & Smith, R. Todd, 1997.
"Greenback-Gold Returns and Expectations of Resumption, 1862–1879,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(03), pages 697-717, September.
- Gregor W. Smith & R. Todd Smith, 1996. "Greenback-Gold Returns and Expectations of Resumption, 1862-1879," Working Papers 1255, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1994. "Speculative Anticipations of Sterling's Return to Gold: Was Keynes Wrong?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 804-812, July.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Nason, James A., 1990.
"Nonparametric exchange rate prediction?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3-4), pages 315-332, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Alan C. Stockman, 1983.
NBER Working Papers
1230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregor W. Smith & R. Todd Smith, 1988.
"Stochastic Process Switching and the Return to Gold, 1925,"
723, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Gregor W & Smith, R Todd, 1990. "Stochastic Process Switching and the Return to Gold, 1925," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 164-175, March.
- Smith, Gregor W, 1991. "Solution to a Problem of Stochastic Process Switching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 237-239, January.
- Officer, Lawrence H., 1985. "Integration in the American Foreign-Exchange Market, 1791–1900," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(03), pages 557-585, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:1248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.