A Strategy for Launching the Euro
This paper analyzes the constraints European Union law places on the 1 January 1999" choices of irrevocably fixed conversion rates between the Euro and the currencies of EMU" member states. Current EU legislation, notably the Maastricht treaty bilateral currency conversion factors implied by the 1 January 1999 choices equal closing" market exchange rates on 31 December 1998. Given that legal constraint several strategies for choosing the relative prices of EMU member currencies against the Euro. " Unfortunately, most of these have potentially damaging side effects. One approach official Stage 2 offers of contingent Euro forward contracts with value dates at the start of" Stage 3, allows a highly credible preannouncement of the bilateral currency conversion factors" to be set at the start of EMU. That approach assumes, however, that no prospective EMU" members can withdraw between their selection in May 1998 and the start of Stage 3."
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as European Economic Review, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 975-1007, 1998.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991.
"The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 269-328
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Froot & Kenneth Rogoff & Olivier Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, . "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," Working Paper 32216, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991. "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," NBER Working Papers 3684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "How to Fix Conversion Rates at the Start of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1530, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- P. De Grauwe & L. Spaventa, 1997. "Setting conversion rates for the third stage of EMU," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 50(201), pages 131-146.
- Mussa, Michael, 1976. " The Exchange Rate, the Balance of Payments and Monetary and Fiscal Policy under a Regime of Controlled Floating," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 229-48.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Spaventa, Luigi, 1997. "Setting Conversion Rates for the Third Stage of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1997. "The Indeterminacy of the Euro Conversion Rates. Why it Matters and How it can be Solved," CEPR Discussion Papers 1677, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- P. De Grauwe & L. Spaventa, 1997. "Setting conversion rates for the third stage of EMU," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 50(201), pages 131-146.
- Kareken, John & Wallace, Neil, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-22, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.