A Strategy for Launching the Euro
This paper analyzes the constraints European Union law places on the 1 January 1999" choices of irrevocably fixed conversion rates between the Euro and the currencies of EMU" member states. Current EU legislation, notably the Maastricht treaty bilateral currency conversion factors implied by the 1 January 1999 choices equal closing" market exchange rates on 31 December 1998. Given that legal constraint several strategies for choosing the relative prices of EMU member currencies against the Euro. " Unfortunately, most of these have potentially damaging side effects. One approach official Stage 2 offers of contingent Euro forward contracts with value dates at the start of" Stage 3, allows a highly credible preannouncement of the bilateral currency conversion factors" to be set at the start of EMU. That approach assumes, however, that no prospective EMU" members can withdraw between their selection in May 1998 and the start of Stage 3."
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Publication status:||published as European Economic Review, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 975-1007, 1998.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. De Grauwe & L. Spaventa, 1997.
"Setting conversion rates for the third stage of EMU,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 50(201), pages 131-146.
- P. De Grauwe & L. Spaventa, 1997. "Setting conversion rates for the third stage of EMU," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 50(201), pages 131-146.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Spaventa, Luigi, 1997. "Setting Conversion Rates for the Third Stage of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Kareken & Neil Wallace, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-222.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991. "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," NBER Chapters,in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 269-328 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Froot & Kenneth Rogoff & Olivier Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, "undated". "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," Working Paper 32216, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1991. "The EMS, the EMU, and the Transition to a Common Currency," NBER Working Papers 3684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1997. "The Indeterminacy of the Euro Conversion Rates. Why it Matters and How it can be Solved," CEPR Discussion Papers 1677, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mussa, Michael, 1976. " The Exchange Rate, the Balance of Payments and Monetary and Fiscal Policy under a Regime of Controlled Floating," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 229-248.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "How to Fix Conversion Rates at the Start of EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1530, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.