The Euro versus the U.S. dollar: an overview
The creation of the euro will prove to be a remarkable development in international relations and carries far-reaching implications for the international monetary system. The objectives of this paper are four-fold. The first objective is to provide a brief overview of previous monetary unions in Europe. It covers three surviving monetary unions and two that failed. The second objective is to provide a review of major developments leading to the creation of the euro. The third objective is to analyze the opportunities and threats associated with the euro. The fourth objective is to provide an overview of the on-going debate as to whether the euro will be a serious challenger to the U.S. dollar.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Artis, Michael J & Winkler, Bernhard, 1997. "The Stability Pact: Safeguarding the Credibility of the European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 1688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 1998.
"The emergence of the euro as an international currency,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 305-343, 04.
- G Alogoskoufis & R Portes & H Rey, 1998. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," CEP Discussion Papers dp0388, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alogoskoufis, G. & Portes, R. & Rey, H., 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," DELTA Working Papers 97-28, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Alogoskoufis, George & Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," CEPR Discussion Papers 1741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1998. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," NBER Working Papers 6424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1999.
"A Strategy for Launching the Euro,"
NBER Working Papers
6233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 1995. "EMU: will it fly?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 3-16.
- Antonio Fatás, 1998. "Does EMU need a fiscal federation?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 163-203, 04.
- Thygesen, Niels, 1994. "Why is economic and monetary union an important objective for Europe?," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 133-145, June.
- Robert F. Graboyes, 1990. "The EMU: forerunners and durability," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jul, pages 8-17.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1994. "The EMU and fiscal policy in the new European Community: An issue for economic federalism," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-161, June.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 1997. "The role of the euro as an international currency," Working Papers 1997-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michel Galy & Michael T. Hadjimichael, 1997. "The CFA Franc Zone and the EMU," IMF Working Papers 97/156, International Monetary Fund.
- Vito Tanzi, 1998. "The Demise of the Nation State?," IMF Working Papers 98/120, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:34:y:1999:i:2:p:171-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.