The Impact of Enlargement on the Race for FDI
This chapter assesses the effects of "Eastern" EU-enlargement on the race for FDI and the policy implications. We start from the proposition that the evolving production patterns of incumbent and new member states determine the need for and the justification of location policy (LP) and FDI promotion policy (FDI-PP). On the basis of empirical production patterns, it is argued that while the specialisation outcome dominates in the short run, the convergence scenario is more likely to prevail in the medium term. Therefore, old and new EU-members will compete increasingly for the same type of FDI. How EU-enlargement per se affects the spatial distribution of inward FDI is described next. The role of FDI-PPs and LPs in an enlarged EU are discussed on the basis of the convergence outcome. Since the new economics of location competition and of FDI-promotion cast serious doubt on the economic justification and effectiveness of FDI-PP, the chapter concludes with a basic dilemma in the race for FDI: namely, the greater ineffectiveness of FDI incentives in the Single Market and fewer possibilities for differentiation of LPs. The latter is due to harmonisation pressures, which calls for innovative policy strategies by central and regional authorities.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.wu.ac.at/economics/en
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabor Hunya, 2002. "Recent Impacts of Foreign Direct Investment on Growth and Restructuring in Central European Transition Countries," wiiw Research Reports 284, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Haaland, Jan I & Wooton, Ian, 1999.
" International Competition for Multinational Investment,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(4), pages 631-649, December.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1998. "International Competition for Multinational Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1998. "International Competition for Multinational Investment," Papers 14/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2002. "How international outsourcing drives up Eastern European wages," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(1), pages 83-96, March.
- Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Panizza, Ugo & Stein, Ernesto, 2007. "The cyclical nature of North-South FDI flows," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 104-130, February.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Business School Working Papers quince, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6502, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Research Department Publications 4317, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2002. "Die Auswirkungen der EU-Osterweiterung auf die Direktinvestitionen und deren Rückwirkungen," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 55(11), pages 13-19, 06.
- Hines, James R, Jr, 1996. "Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1076-1094, December.
- James R. Hines Jr., 1993. "Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America," NBER Working Papers 4397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breuss, Fritz & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2001. "The impact of Agenda 2000's structural policy reform on FDI in the EU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 807-820, October.
- Fritz Breuss & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, "undated". "The Impact of Agenda 2000's Structural Policy Reform on FDI in the EU," WIFO Working Papers 150, WIFO.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does it Matter?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 483-514, 09.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp087, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Bellak, Christian, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?," Department of Economics Working Paper Series 862, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Jan I. Haaland & Ian Wooton, 1998. "International Competition for Foreign Multinational Investment," Working Papers 9812, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- John G. Fernald, 1999. "Roads to Prosperity? Assessing the Link between Public Capital and Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 619-638, June.
- John G. Fernald, 1997. "Roads to prosperity? assessing the link between public capital and productivity," International Finance Discussion Papers 592, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rosanne Altshuler & Harry Grubert & T. Scott Newlon, 2000. "Has U.S. Investment Abroad Become More Sensitive to Tax Rates?," NBER Chapters,in: International Taxation and Multinational Activity, pages 9-38 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Harry Grubert & T. Scott Newlon, 1998. "Has U.S. Investment Abroad Become More Sensitive to Tax Rates?," NBER Working Papers 6383, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosanne Altshuler & T. Scott Newlon & Harry Grubert, 2002. "Has U.S. Investment Abroad Become More Sensitive to Tax Rates?," Departmental Working Papers 199806, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Pennings, Enrico & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2000. "International relocation: firm and industry determinants," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 179-186, May.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Edda Zoli, 2001. "Cost and Effectiveness of Banking Sector Restructuring in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 01/157, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter J. Buckley & Patrick Artisien, 1987. "Policy issues of intra-EC direct investment: British, French and German multinationals in Greece, Portugal and Spain, with special reference to employment effects," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 207-230, December.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 69-112.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Leah M. Cook, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 11-33.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2004. "The New Systems Competition," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(1), pages 23-38, 02.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001. "The New Systems Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 623, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2004. "The new systems competition," Munich Reprints in Economics 19608, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2002. "The New Systems Competition," NBER Working Papers 8747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Amina Lahrèche-Révil, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Company Taxation in Europe," Economics Working Papers 004, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Timothy Besley & Paul Seabright, 1999. "The effects and policy implications of state aids to industry: an economic analysis," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 13-53, 04.
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310.
- Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2002. "The CEECs in the Enlarged Europe: Convergence Patterns, Specialization and Labour Market Implications," wiiw Research Reports 286, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2002. "Auswirkungen der EU-Osterweiterung auf die Direktinvestitionen und die Rückwirkungen der Direktinvestitionen," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2904, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Traistaru, Iulia & Wolff, Guntram B., 2002. "Regional specialization and employment dynamics in transition countries," ZEI Working Papers B 18-2002, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1991. "Locational Determinants and Ranking of Host Countries: An Empirical Assessment," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 363-382. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwwuw:wuwp086. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.