Foreign Direct Investment in Developed Economies: A Comparison between European and non - European Countries
We analyse the determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) by multinational corporations (MNCs) in developed economies. We compare between EU and non-EU countries, in the context of an estimated equation derived from economic theory, which compares the main demand and supply-side determinants of FDI. We contribute to the literature in three ways. First, by employing different proxies for demand and supply-side factors. Second, by comparing between European and non-European developed countries. Third, by testing for the relative importance of total factor productivity (TFP) as a determinant of FDI. Our results are in line with theoretical predictions, but point to the importance of TFP as the determinant par excellence of FDI in developed countries. They also highlight differences even within developed European and non-European counties.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ieEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Busse, Matthias & Groizard, Jose Luis, 2006.
"Foreign direct investment, regulations, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3882, The World Bank.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004.
"Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 959-972, November.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2002. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 3455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Hendry & Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000.
"Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures,"
Economics Series Working Papers
3, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Krolzig, Hans-Martin & Hendry, David F., 2001. "Computer automation of general-to-specific model selection procedures," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 831-866, June.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0411, Econometric Society.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig & David Hendry, 1999. "Computer Automation of General-to-Specific Model Selection Procedures," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 314, Society for Computational Economics.
- John H Dunning & Christos N Pitelis, 2008. "Stephen Hymer's contribution to international business scholarship: an assessment and extension," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(1), pages 167-176, January.
- James R. Hines Jr., 1993.
"Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America,"
NBER Working Papers
4397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hines, James R, Jr, 1996. "Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1076-94, December.
- Pye, Robert, 1998. "Foreign direct investment in Central Europe:: Experiences of major Western investors," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 378-389, August.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Williamson, Peter J, 1986. "Multinational Enterprise Behaviour and Domestic Industry Adjustment under Import Threat," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 359-68, August.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Amina Lahrèche-Révil, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment and Company Taxation in Europe," Economics Working Papers 004, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Paul Krugman, 1992. "A Dynamic Spatial Model," NBER Working Papers 4219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Gast & Roland Herrmann, 2008. "Determinants of foreign direct investment of OECD countries 1991-2001," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 509-524.
- Wilfried Altzinger, 1998. "Austria's Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: 'Supply Based' or 'Market Driven'?," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp057, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Andrew Mold, 2003. "The Impact of the Single Market Programme on the Locational Determinants of US Manufacturing Affiliates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-62, 03.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Ozturk, I., 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment – Growht Nexus: A Review of The Recent Literature," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(2), pages 79-98.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:dynreg44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.