Wages, Rents, Unemployment, and the Quality of Life
Combining a spatial equilibrium model with a search-matching unemployment model, this paper analyzes the willingness to pay for regional amenities and the regional quality of life when wages, rents, and unemployment risk compensate for local amenities and disamenities. The results are compared with those obtained from the Rosen-Roback approach. Furthermore, the paper shows that the wage curve is negatively sloped for quasi-linear utility. Specifically, the wage rate increases and the unemployment ratio decreases in response to an increase in the amenity level if the amenity is marginally more beneficial to producers than to consumers. As an illustration of the unemployment-adjusted quality-of-life measure, the quality of life in West German counties is estimated.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A., 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
340, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Kentaro Nakajima & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2007.
"Estimating Interregional Utility Differentials,"
CIRJE-F-496, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Patrick Kline & Enrico Moretti, 2013.
"Place Based Policies with Unemployment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 238-43, May.
- Kline, Patrick & Moretti, Enrico, 2013. "Place Based Policies with Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 9330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kline, Patrick & Moretti, Enrico, 2013. "Place Based Policies with Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 7180, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Patrick Kline & Enrico Moretti, 2013. "Place Based Policies with Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 18758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521875387 is not listed on IDEAS
- Greenwood, Michael J, et al, 1991. "Migration, Regional Equilibrium, and the Estimation of Compensating Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1382-90, December.
- Bayer, Patrick & Keohane, Nathaniel & Timmins, Christopher, 2009.
"Migration and hedonic valuation: The case of air quality,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-14, July.
- Patrick Bayer & Nathaniel Keohane & Christopher Timmins, 2006. "Migration and Hedonic Valuation: The Case of Air Quality," NBER Working Papers 12106, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens Suedekum, 2003.
"Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p44, European Regional Science Association.
- Jens Suedekum, 2005. "Increasing returns and spatial unemployment disparities," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 159-181, 06.
- Suedekum, Jens, 2004. "Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities," HWWA Discussion Papers 256, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Jens Südekum, 2003. "Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities," Departmental Discussion Papers 117, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2004.
"Quality of the Business Environment Versus Quality of Life: Do Firms and Households Like the Same Cities?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 438-444, February.
- Stuart Gabriel & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2003. "Quality of the Business Environment Versus Quality of Life: Do Firms and Households Like the Same Cities?," Working Paper 8615, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- David Y. Albouy, 2008.
"The Unequal Geographic Burden of Federal Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
13995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card, 1995.
"The Wage Curve: A Review,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521698221 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deller, Steven C., 2009. "Wages, Rent, Unemployment and Amenities," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2).
- Thiess Büttner & Alexander Ebertz, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Regions - Results for German Counties,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Paper No. 49, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Thiess Buettner & Alexander Ebertz, 2009. "Quality of life in the regions: results for German Counties," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 89-112, March.
- Bellmann, Lutz & Gerner, Hans-Dieter & Upward, Richard, 2011. "Job and Worker Turnover in German Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 6081, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Lee, Chul-In, 2008. "Migration and the wage and unemployment gaps between urban and non-urban sectors: A dynamic general equilibrium reinterpretation of the Harris-Todaro equilibrium," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1416-1434, December.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Tracy, Joseph, 1991. "The Structure of Local Public Finance and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 774-806, August.
- John Winters, 2013.
"Differences in quality of life estimates using rents and home values,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 377-409, October.
- Winters, John V, 2010. "Differences in Quality of Life Estimates Using Rents and Home Values," MPRA Paper 22455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Winters, John V., 2012. "Differences in Quality of Life Estimates Using Rents and Home Values," IZA Discussion Papers 6703, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chen, Yong & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 2008. "Local amenities and life-cycle migration: Do people move for jobs or fun?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 519-537, November.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa13p548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.