Wages, Rents, Unemployment, and the Quality of Life
Combining a spatial equilibrium model with a search-matching unemployment model, this paper analyzes the willingness to pay for regional amenities and the regional quality of life when wages, rents, and unemployment risk compensate for local amenities and disamenities. The results are compared with those obtained from the Rosen-Roback approach. Furthermore, the paper shows that the wage curve is negatively sloped for quasi-linear utility. Specifically, the wage rate increases and the unemployment ratio decreases in response to an increase in the amenity level if the amenity is marginally more beneficial to producers than to consumers. As an illustration of the unemployment-adjusted quality-of-life measure, the quality of life in West German counties is estimated.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jens Suedekum, 2003.
"Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p44, European Regional Science Association.
- Jens Suedekum, 2005. "Increasing returns and spatial unemployment disparities," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 159-181, 06.
- Suedekum, Jens, 2004. "Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities," HWWA Discussion Papers 256, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Jens Südekum, 2003. "Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities," Departmental Discussion Papers 117, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, March.
- Zenou,Yves, 2009.
"Urban Labor Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521698221, December.
- Deller, Steven C., 2009. "Wages, Rent, Unemployment and Amenities," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2).
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale & Pissarides, Christopher, 2011. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 19 pages.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Stuart Gabriel & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2003.
"Quality of the Business Environment Versus Quality of Life: Do Firms and Households Like the Same Cities?,"
8615, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2004. "Quality of the Business Environment Versus Quality of Life: Do Firms and Households Like the Same Cities?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 438-444, February.
- Kentaro Nakajima & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2011.
"Estimating Interregional Utility Differentials,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 31-46, 02.
- Thiess Büttner & Alexander Ebertz, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Regions - Results for German Counties,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Paper No. 49, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Thiess Buettner & Alexander Ebertz, 2009. "Quality of life in the regions: results for German Counties," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 43(1), pages 89-112, March.
- Bellmann, Lutz & Gerner, Hans-Dieter & Upward, Richard, 2011.
"Job and Worker Turnover in German Establishments,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6081, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Chen, Yong & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 2008. "Local amenities and life-cycle migration: Do people move for jobs or fun?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 519-537, November.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 421-450, 07.
- Patrick Bayer & Nathaniel Keohane & Christopher Timmins, 2006.
"Migration and Hedonic Valuation: The Case of Air Quality,"
NBER Working Papers
12106, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayer, Patrick & Keohane, Nathaniel & Timmins, Christopher, 2009. "Migration and hedonic valuation: The case of air quality," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-14, July.
- David Card, 1995. "The Wage Curve: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(2), pages 285-299, June.
- Winters, John V., 2012.
"Differences in Quality of Life Estimates Using Rents and Home Values,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6703, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Winters, 2013. "Differences in quality of life estimates using rents and home values," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 51(2), pages 377-409, October.
- Winters, John V, 2010. "Differences in Quality of Life Estimates Using Rents and Home Values," MPRA Paper 22455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Chul-In, 2008. "Migration and the wage and unemployment gaps between urban and non-urban sectors: A dynamic general equilibrium reinterpretation of the Harris-Todaro equilibrium," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1416-1434, December.
- Kline, Patrick & Moretti, Enrico, 2013.
"Place Based Policies with Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7180, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Albouy, 2009.
"The Unequal Geographic Burden of Federal Taxation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(4), pages 635-667, 08.
- Greenwood, Michael J, et al, 1991. "Migration, Regional Equilibrium, and the Estimation of Compensating Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1382-90, December.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, March.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Tracy, Joseph, 1991. "The Structure of Local Public Finance and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 774-806, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa13p548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.