Offshoring and the Elasticity of Labour Demand
This paper examines the impact of offshoring on labour elasticities for a sample of 40 countries over the period 1995-2009 using the recently compiled World Input-Output Database (WIOD). Including measures of narrow and broad offshoring, as well as indicators of manufacturing and services offshoring, in conditional and unconditional labour demand equations we find that offshoring has an overall neutral or slightly positive effect on employment. This result hides differences across industry types and across employment types however, with additional results indicating a negative effect of services offshoring in many industry types. Positive effects of other offshoring measures are found in high-tech manufacturing and for high-educated employment in particular.
|Length:||23 pages including 7 Tables and 4 Figures|
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.atEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guy Michaels & Ashwini Natraj & John Van Reenen, 2010.
"Has ICT Polarized Skill Demand? Evidence from Eleven Countries over 25 Years,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0987, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Guy Michaels & Ashwini Natraj & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Has ICT Polarized Skill Demand? Evidence from Eleven Countries over 25 years," NBER Working Papers 16138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guy Michaels & Ashwini Natraj & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Has ICT polarized skill demand?: evidence from eleven countries over 25 Years," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28739, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Michaels, Guy & Natraj, Ashwini & Van Reenen, John, 2010. "Has ICT Polarized Skill Demand? Evidence from Eleven Countries over 25 years," CEPR Discussion Papers 7898, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Margit Molnár & Nigel Pain & Daria Taglioni, 2007. "The Internationalisation of Production, International Outsourcing and Employment in the OECD," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 561, OECD Publishing.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 2007. "Globalization and Its Impact on Labour," wiiw Working Papers 44, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Arndt, Sven W., 1997. "Globalization and the open economy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-79.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1997. "The evolving external orientation of manufacturing: a profile of four countries," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 53-81.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2005.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 860-878, October.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger GÃ¶rg & Robert C. Hine, 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 437, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," IZA Discussion Papers 1249, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matthew J. Slaughter, 2000. "What Are the Results of Product-Price Studies and What Can We Learn from Their Differences?," NBER Chapters, in: The Impact of International Trade on Wages, pages 129-169 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Hijzen & Paul Swaim, .
"Offshoring, Labour Market Institutions and the Elasticity of Labour Demand,"
08/05, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Swaim, Paul, 2010. "Offshoring, labour market institutions and the elasticity of labour demand," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1016-1034, November.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno & Anna M. Falzoni & Rodolfo Helg, 2004. "Measuring the effect of globalization on labour demand elasticity: An empirical application to OECD countries," KITeS Working Papers 153, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Feb 2004.
- Martin Falk & Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2005. "Employment Effects of Outsourcing to Low Wage Countries. Empirical Evidence for EU Countries," WIFO Working Papers 262, WIFO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:wpaper:90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.