The possibility of a rice green revolution in large-scale irrigation schemes in Sub-Saharan Africa
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Bart Minten & Jean-Claude Randrianarisoa & Christopher B. Barrett, 2007.
"Productivity in Malagasy rice systems: wealth-differentiated constraints and priorities,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 225-237, December.
- Minten, Bart & Randrianarisoa, Jean Claude & Barrett, Christopher B., 2006. "Productivity in Malagasy Rice Systems: Wealth-Differentiated Constraints and Priorities," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25611, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yoko KIJIMA & Dick SSERUNKUUMA & Keijiro OTSUKA, 2006. "How Revolutionary Is The "Nerica Revolution"? Evidence From Uganda," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(2), pages 252-267.
- Keijiro Otsuka & Kaliappa P. Kalirajan, 2005. "An Exploration of a Green Revolution in Sub-Saharan Africa," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 2(1), pages 1-6.
- Yoko Kijima & Keijiro Otsuka & Dick Sserunkuuma, 2008. "Assessing the impact of NERICA on income and poverty in central and western Uganda," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 327-337, May.
- Inocencio, Arlene & Kikuchi, Masao & Tonosaki, Manabu & Maruyama, Atsushi & Merrey, Douglas & Sally, Hilmy & de Jong, Ijsbrand, 2007. "Costs and performance of irrigation projects: A comparison of Sub-Saharan Africa and other developing regions," IWMI Research Reports H036214, International Water Management Institute.
- Jonna P. ESTUDILLO & Keijiro OTSUKA, 2006. "Lessons From Three Decades Of Green Revolution In The Philippines," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(2), pages 123-148.
- Keijiro Otsuka & Yoko Kijima, 2010. "Technology Policies for a Green Revolution and Agricultural Transformation in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 19(suppl_2), pages 60-76.
- Kijima, Yoko & Otsuka, Keijiro & Sserunkuuma, Dick, 2011. "An Inquiry into Constraints on a Green Revolution in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of NERICA Rice in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 77-86, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yuko Nakano & Yuki Tanaka & Keijiro Otsuka, 2014. "To What Extent Do Improved Practices Increase Productivity of Small-Scale Rice Cultivation in A Rain-fed Area? : Evidence from Tanzania," GRIPS Discussion Papers 14-21, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Takeshima, Hiroyuki & Jimah, Kipo & Kolavalli, Shashidhara & Diao, Xinshen & Funk, Rebecca Lee, 2013. "Dynamics of transformation: Insights from an exploratory review of rice farming in the Kpong irrigation project:," IFPRI discussion papers 1272, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Reynolds, Travis W. & Anderson, C. Leigh & Slakie, Elysia & Gugerty, Mary Kay, 2015. "How Common Crop Yield Measures Misrepresent Productivity among Smallholder Farmers," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212485, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Larson,Donald F. & Muraoka,Rie & Otsuka,Keijiro, 2016. "On the central role of small farms in African rural development strategies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7710, The World Bank.
- Timothy N. Njeru & Yukichi Mano & Keijiro Otsuka, 2016.
"Role of Access to Credit in Rice Production in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Mwea Irrigation Scheme in Kenya,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 25(2), pages 300-321.
- Njeru, Timothy & Mano, Yukichi & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2015. "Role of Access to Credit in Rice Production in Sub Saharan Africa: The Case of Mwea Irrigation Scheme in Kenya," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212532, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Takeshima, Hiroyuki & Adesugba, Margaret Abiodun, 2014. "Irrigation potential in Nigeria: Some perspectives based on factor endowments, tropical nature, and patterns in favorable areas:," IFPRI discussion papers 1399, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nakano, Yuko & Tanaka, Tuki & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2015. "To What Extent Does Modified System of Rice Intensification (SRI) Training Increase Productivity of Small-Scale Rice Cultivation in a Rain-Fed Area? Evidence from Tanzania," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212521, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Timothy Williams, 2015. "Reconciling food and water security objectives of MENA and sub-Saharan Africa: is there a role for large-scale agricultural investments?," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 7(6), pages 1199-1209, December.
- Reynolds, Travis W. & Anderson, C. Leigh & Slakie, Elysia & Gugerty, Mary Kay, 2015. "How Common Crop Yield Measures Misrepresent Productivity among Smallholder Farmers," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212294, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Njagi, Njeru Timothy, 2012. "An Investigation into the Possibility of a Rice Green Revolution in Sub Saharan Africa: Lessons from the MWEA Irrigation Scheme in Kenya," Dissertations-Doctoral 207754, AgEcon Search.
- Takeshi, Sakurai, 2015. "On the Determinants of High Productivity Rice Farming in Irrigated Areas in Senegal: The Efficiency of Large Compared with Small-Scale Irrigation Schemes," Working Papers 105, JICA Research Institute.
More about this item
KeywordsCrops&Crop Management Systems; Irrigation and Drainage; Water Supply and Systems; Regional Economic Development; Water and Industry;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2011-02-19 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2011-02-19 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5560. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dvewbus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.