The Determinants of Technology Adoption:The Case of the Rice Sector in Tanzania
Using an extensive household-level data set collected in Tanzania, this paper investigates the determinants of technology adoption in rice cultivation by focusing on the role of credit. We find that credit enhances fertilizer use and the adoption of labor-intensive agronomic practices such as transplanting in rows, for which monitoring of hired labor is easy. We also find that new technologies are adopted more widely in irrigated areas and small-scale farmers are not at a disadvantage. Based on these findings, we argue that with appropriate policies including credit, a rice Green Revolution can improve the productivity of small-scale farmers in Tanzania.
|Date of creation:||26 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://jica-ri.jica.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew D. Foster & Mark R. Rosenzweig, 2010.
"Microeconomics of Technology Adoption,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 395-424, 09.
- Gine, Xavier & Klonner, Stefan, 2006.
"Credit Constraints as a Barrier to Technology Adoption by the Poor: Lessons from South-Indian Small-Scale Fishery,"
Working Paper Series
RP2006/104, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gine, Xavier & Klonner, Stefan, 2005. "Credit constraints as a barrier to technology adoption by the poor : lessons from South Indian small-scale fishery," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3665, The World Bank.
- Takeshi SAKURAI, 2006. "Intensification Of Rainfed Lowland Rice Production In West Africa: Present Status And Potential Green Revolution," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(2), pages 232-251.
- Seck, Papa A. & Tollens, Eric & Wopereis, Marco C.S. & Diagne, Aliou & Bamba, Ibrahim, 2010. "Rising trends and variability of rice prices: Threats and opportunities for sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 403-411, October.
- Keijiro Otsuka & Yoko Kijima, 2010. "Technology Policies for a Green Revolution and Agricultural Transformation in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 19(suppl_2), pages 60-76.
- Kijima, Yoko & Otsuka, Keijiro & Sserunkuuma, Dick, 2011. "An Inquiry into Constraints on a Green Revolution in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of NERICA Rice in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 77-86, January.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Kalirajan, Kaliappa P., 2005. "Special Edition on An Exploration of a Green Revolution in Sub-Saharan Africa," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 2(1).
- Kajisa, Kei & Payongayong, Ellen, 2011.
"Potential of and constraints to the rice Green Revolution in Mozambique: A case study of the Chokwe irrigation scheme,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 614-625, October.
- Kajisa, Kei & Payongayong, Ellen, 2011. "Potential of and constraints to the rice Green Revolution in Mozambique: A case study of the Chokwe irrigation scheme," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 615-626.
- Carter, Michael R., 1989. "The impact of credit on peasant productivity and differentiation in Nicaragua," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 13-36, July.
- Nakano, Yuko & Kajisa, Kei, 2012. "How does the Adoption of Modern Variety increase Productivity and Income? : A Case of the Rice Sector in Tanzania," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124924, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Moser, Christine M. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2003.
"The Complex Dynamics Of Smallholder Technology Adoption: The Case Of Sri In Madagascar,"
14735, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Christine M. Moser & Christopher B. Barrett, 2006. "The complex dynamics of smallholder technology adoption: the case of SRI in Madagascar," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 373-388, November.
- Andrew D. Foster & Mark R. Rosenzweig, 2010. "Microeconomics of Technology Adoption," Working Papers 984, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jic:wpaper:58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Japan International Cooperation Agency Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.