Benchmarking for performance assessment of small and large irrigation schemes along the Senegal Valley in Mauritania
Degradation of irrigation schemes, low and variable land productivity, and inefficient use of production inputs are major concerns in Mauritania. That prompted this benchmarking analysis of 17 small and 3 large irrigation schemes located along the River Senegal. The objectives were to establish benchmarks for both productivity and performance of irrigation schemes along the valley, and to inquire whether small schemes function better than large schemes. Cluster and data envelopment analyses enabled, respectively, grouping and ranking of irrigation schemes according to a set of pre-determined performance indicators: viz. energy costs, relative irrigation supply, irrigation intensity related to irrigable and equipped area, adequacy, and land productivity. Land productivity, which was highly variable, was compared to simulated land productivity for non-limiting conditions in order to determine yield gap variations. Few early sown crops were close to the simulated yield frontier of 10.6tha−1 and the mean yield was similar for large and small schemes (3.50tha−1 and 3.77tha−1, respectively). The analysis of the indicators revealed that, on average, large schemes performed similarly to small-scale schemes, but small schemes were more variable, particularly in input-use efficiency. Analysis of clusters identified three groups of irrigation schemes: viz. consuming and productive, precarious, and productive and economic. According to data envelopment analysis, four irrigation schemes were identified as technically efficient. Their average land productivity was relatively high (4.75tha−1) and energy costs were contained (59€ha−1). Data envelopment analysis also identified the particular efficient schemes that should be taken as reference for improvement of each inefficient scheme.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vandersypen, Klaartje & Bengaly, Kongotigui & Keita, Abdoulaye C.T. & Sidibe, Souleymane & Raes, Dirk & Jamin, Jean-Yves, 2006. "Irrigation performance at tertiary level in the rice schemes of the Office du Niger (Mali): Adequate water delivery through over-supply," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 144-152, May.
- Bos, M. G. & Burton, M. A. & Molden, David J., 2005. "Irrigation and drainage performance assessment: practical guidelines," IWMI Books, Reports H037064, International Water Management Institute.
- Verheye, W. H., 1995. "Impact of climate and soil conditions on conception and implementation of irrigation schemes in the Senegal River basin," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 73-94, August.
- Inocencio, Arlene & Kikuchi, Masao & Tonosaki, Manabu & Maruyama, Atsushi & Merrey, Douglas & Sally, Hilmy & de Jong, Ijsbrand, 2007. "Costs and performance of irrigation projects: A comparison of Sub-Saharan Africa and other developing regions," IWMI Research Reports H036214, International Water Management Institute.
- World Bank, 2008. "Investment in Agricultural Water for Poverty Reduction and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa : Synthesis Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8012, The World Bank.
- Cabangon, R. J. & Tuong, T. P. & Abdullah, N. B., 2002. "Comparing water input and water productivity of transplanted and direct-seeded rice production systems," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 11-31, September.
- García-Ponce, E. & Gómez-Macpherson, H. & Diallo, O. & Djibril, M. & Baba, C. & Porcel, O. & Mathieu, B. & Comas, J. & Mateos, L. & Connor, D.J., 2013. "Contribution of sorghum to productivity of small-holder irrigation schemes: On-farm research in the Senegal River Valley, Mauritania," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 115(C), pages 72-82.
- Rodriguez-Diaz, J.A. & Camacho-Poyato, E. & Lopez-Luque, R. & Perez-Urrestarazu, L., 2008. "Benchmarking and multivariate data analysis techniques for improving the efficiency of irrigation districts: An application in spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 250-259, March.
- Keijiro OTSUKA & Kaliappa P. KALIRAJAN, 2006. "Rice Green Revolution In Asia And Its Transferability To Africa: An Introduction," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(2), pages 107-122.
- Poussin, Jean-Christophe & Diallo, Youssouf & Legoupil, Jean-Claude, 2006. "Improved collective decision-making in action for irrigated rice farmers in the Senegal River Valley," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 299-323, September.
- Córcoles, J.I. & de Juan, J.A. & Ortega, J.F. & Tarjuelo, J.M. & Moreno, M.A., 2010. "Management evaluation of Water Users Associations using benchmarking techniques," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-11, December.
- Dingkuhn, M., 1995. "Climatic determinants of irrigated rice performance in the Sahel -- III. Characterizing environments by simulating crop phenology," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 435-456.
- Comas, Jordi & Connor, David & Isselmou, Mohamed El Moctar & Mateos, Luciano & Gómez-Macpherson, Helena, 2012. "Why has small-scale irrigation not responded to expectations with traditional subsistence farmers along the Senegal River in Mauritania?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 152-161.
- Bouman, B.A.M. & van Laar, H.H., 2006. "Description and evaluation of the rice growth model ORYZA2000 under nitrogen-limited conditions," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 249-273, March.
- García-Bolaños, Mariana & Borgia, Cecilia & Poblador, Noemí & Dia, Mamadou & Seyid, Ould Mohamed Vadel & Mateos, Luciano, 2011. "Performance assessment of small irrigation schemes along the Mauritanian banks of the Senegal River," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(7), pages 1141-1152, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agiwat:v:121:y:2013:i:c:p:19-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.