Irrigation performance before and after rehabilitation of a representative, small irrigation scheme besides the Senegal River, Mauritania
During the last quarter of the 20th century, many irrigation schemes were constructed along the bank of the Senegal River in Mauritania. About 40,000ha were developed but less than 23,000ha remain irrigated today. A program for rehabilitation is now in place to counteract deterioration and abandonment of these schemes. This paper presents an evaluation of the rehabilitation of a small, representative irrigation scheme governed by a farmers' cooperative in the village of Bélinabé. Before rehabilitation, the scheme covered 37.7ha comprising 107 plots each of 0.33ha, essentially all devoted to production of rice. Water for irrigation was pumped directly from the river into two head basins and distributed through open canals. After rehabilitation, the scheme was extended to 115ha with new plots averaging 0.36ha. Water is now supplied by a single cluster of pumps and conveyed through pipes and open canals. Evaluation of performance consisted in analysis of: capacity; distribution losses; flexibility, adequacy and reliability of the system; maintenance status; farmer's perception of system performance. Field data were collected during irrigation campaigns before rehabilitation in 2004 and during 2006 and 2007 afterwards. A model of network distribution and field water balance was developed to assist evaluation. It was established that before rehabilitation the scheme could operate satisfactorily if proper maintenance were practiced. After rehabilitation, more families have access to irrigation but reliability and flexibility of water distribution have been reduced. Furthermore, pumping capacity is now insufficient to cover crop water requirements. Recommendations are provided for future rehabilitation work and maintenance of schemes generally.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vandersypen, Klaartje & Bengaly, Kongotigui & Keita, Abdoulaye C.T. & Sidibe, Souleymane & Raes, Dirk & Jamin, Jean-Yves, 2006. "Irrigation performance at tertiary level in the rice schemes of the Office du Niger (Mali): Adequate water delivery through over-supply," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 144-152, May.
- Renault, Daniel, 2001. "Re-engineering irrigation management and system operations," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 211-226, April.
- Molden, D. J. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Perry, C. J. & de Fraiture, C. & Kloezen, W. H., 1998. "Indicators for comparing performance of irrigated agricultural systems," IWMI Research Reports H022308, International Water Management Institute.
- Gebregziabher, Gebrehaweria & Namara, Regassa E. & Holden, Stein, 2009. "Poverty reduction with irrigation investment: An empirical case study from Tigray, Ethiopia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(12), pages 1837-1843, December.
- Poussin, Jean-Christophe & Diallo, Youssouf & Legoupil, Jean-Claude, 2006. "Improved collective decision-making in action for irrigated rice farmers in the Senegal River Valley," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 299-323, September.
- Mateos, Luciano & Lopez-Cortijo, Ignacio & Sagardoy, Juan A., 2002. "SIMIS: the FAO decision support system for irrigation scheme management," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 193-206, August.
- Connor, David & Comas, Jordi & Macpherson, Helena-Gomez & Mateos, Luciano, 2008. "Impact of small-holder irrigation on the agricultural production, food supply and economic prosperity of a representative village beside the Senegal River, Mauritania," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 1-15, March.