Costs and Benefits of Financial Regulation – An Empirical Assessment for Insurance Companies
We empirically analyze the costs and benefits of financial regulation based on a survey of 76 insurers from Austria, Germany and Switzerland. Our analysis includes both established and new empirical measures for regulatory costs and benefits. This is the first paper that tries to take costs and benefits combined into account using a latent class regression with covariates. Another feature of this paper is that it analyzes regulatory costs and benefits not only on an industry level, but also at the company level. This allows us to empirically test fundamental principles of financial regulation such as proportionality: the intensity of regulation should reflect the firm-specific amount and complexity of the risk taken. Our empirical findings do not support the proportionality principle; for example, regulatory costs cannot be explained by differences in business complexity. One potential policy implication is that the proportionality principle needs to be more carefully applied to financial regulation.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +41 71 243 40 11|
Fax: +41 71 243 40 40
Web page: http://www.unisg.ch/de/universitaet/schools/finance
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walters, Cory G. & Shumway, C. Richard & Chouinard, Hayley H. & Wandschneider, Philip R., 2012. "Crop Insurance, Land Allocation, and the Environment," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(2), August.
- Rafael Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2006.
"What Works in Securities Laws?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 1-32, February.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, "undated". "What Works in Securities Laws?," Working Paper 19491, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2006. "What Works in Securities Laws?," Scholarly Articles 27867135, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "What Works in Securities Law?," NBER Working Papers 9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S, 2000. "A Comment on the Conference on Cost-Benefit Analysis," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 1149-1152, June.
- Skinner, Steven J. & Childers, Terry L. & Jones, Wesley H., 1981. "Consumer responsiveness to price differentials: A case for insurance industry deregulation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 381-395, December.
- Eric Posner & E. Glen Weyl, 2013. "Benefit-Cost Analysis for Financial Regulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 393-397, May.
- Jay Bhattacharya & Dana Goldman & Neeraj Sood, 2004. "Price Regulation in Secondary Insurance Markets," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(4), pages 643-675.
- Li, Chu-Shiu & Lin, Chih Hao & Liu, Chwen-Chi & Woodside, Arch G., 2012. "Dynamic pricing in regulated automobile insurance markets with heterogeneous insurers: Strategies nice versus nasty for customers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 968-976.
- Levine, Michael E & Forrence, Jennifer L, 1990. "Regulatory Capture, Public Interest, and the Public Agenda: Toward a Synthesis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(0), pages 167-198.
- Richard A. Derrig & Sharon Tennyson, 2011. "The Impact of Rate Regulation on Claims: Evidence From Massachusetts Automobile Insurance," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 14(2), pages 173-199, September.
- Robert Klein & Richard Phillips & Wenyan Shiu, 2002. "The Capital Structure of Firms Subject to Price Regulation: Evidence from the Insurance Industry," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 79-100, February.
- Allen Berger & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2015. "Do Depositors Discipline Banks and Did Government Actions During the Recent Crisis Reduce this Discipline? An International Perspective," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 103-126, October.
- Hato Schmeiser & Joël Wagner, 2013. "The Impact of Introducing Insurance Guaranty Schemes on Pricing and Capital Structure," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 80(2), pages 273-308, 06.
- Ray Rees & Ekkehard Kessner, 1999. "Regulation and efficiency in European insurance markets," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(29), pages 363-398, October.
- Martin Eling & Joan T Schmit, 2012. "Is There Market Discipline in the European Insurance Industry? An Analysis of the German Insurance Market," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 37(2), pages 180-207, September.
- Martinez Guerrero, Mario & Ortega Egea, Jose Manuel & Roman Gonzalez, Maria Victoria, 2007. "Application of the latent class regression methodology to the analysis of Internet use for banking transactions in the European Union," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 137-145, February.
- Lee, Soon-Jae & Smith, Michael L., 1999. "Property-casualty insurance guaranty funds and insurer vulnerability to misfortune," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1437-1456, September.
- Linzer, Drew A. & Lewis, Jeffrey B., 2011. "poLCA: An R Package for Polytomous Variable Latent Class Analysis," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 42(i10).
- Michael Hoy, 2006. "Risk Classification and Social Welfare*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 31(2), pages 245-269, April.
- Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz, 2006. "International Differences in the Cost of Equity Capital: Do Legal Institutions and Securities Regulation Matter?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 485-531, 06.
- Dong, Ming & Gründl, Helmut & Schlütter, Sebastian, 2012. "The risk-shifting behavior of insurers under different guarantee schemes," ICIR Working Paper Series 12/12, Goethe University Frankfurt, International Center for Insurance Regulation (ICIR).
- Epermanis, Karen & Harrington, Scott E., 2006. "Market Discipline in Property/Casualty Insurance: Evidence from Premium Growth Surrounding Changes in Financial Strength Ratings," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 1515-1544, September.
- Enya He & David W. Sommer, 2011. "CEO Turnover and Ownership Structure: Evidence From the U.S. Property–Liability Insurance Industry," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 78(3), pages 673-701, 09.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Mary A. Weiss & Sharon Tennyson & Laureen Regan, 2010. "The Effects of Regulated Premium Subsidies on Insurance Costs: An Empirical Analysis of Automobile Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(3), pages 597-624.
- Krupa S. Viswanathan & J. David Cummins, 2003. "Ownership Structure Changes in the Insurance Industry: An Analysis of Demutualization," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(3), pages 401-437.
- George Zanjani, 2007. "Regulation, Capital, and the Evolution of Organizational Form in US Life Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 973-983, June.
- Eling, Martin & Pankoke, David, 2013. "Basis Risk, Procylicality, and Systemic Risk in the Solvency II Equity Risk Module," Working Papers on Finance 1306, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Paul L. Joskow, 1973. "Cartels, Competition and Regulation in the Property-Liability Insurance Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(2), pages 375-427, Autumn.
- Zimmer, Anja & Schade, Christian & Gründl, Helmut, 2009. "Is default risk acceptable when purchasing insurance? Experimental evidence for different probability representations, reasons for default, and framings," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 11-23, February.
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Gaganis, Chrysovalantis, 2013. "Regulations and soundness of insurance firms: International evidence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 632-642.
- Franks, Julian R. & Schaefer, Stephen M. & Staunton, Michael D., 1997. "The direct and compliance costs of financial regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1547-1572, December.
- Su, Lixin (Nancy) & Zhao, Xuezhou (Rachel) & Zhou, Gaoguang (Stephen), 2014. "Do customers respond to the disclosure of internal control weakness?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(7), pages 1508-1518.
- Scott Harrington & Greg Niehaus, 2002. "Capital Structure Decisions in the Insurance Industry: Stocks versus Mutuals," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 145-163, February.
- Gregory E. Elliehausen, 1998. "The cost of banking regulation: a review of the evidence," Staff Studies 171, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ashby, Simon & Peters, Linda D. & Devlin, James, 2014. "When an irresistible force meets an immovable object: The interplay of agency and structure in the UK financial crisis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2671-2683.
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Girardone, Claudia & Ventouri, Alexia, 2012. "Bank supervision, regulation, and efficiency: Evidence from the European Union," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 292-302.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss & Hongmin Zi, 1999. "Organizational Form and Efficiency: The Coexistence of Stock and Mutual Property-Liability Insurers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1254-1269, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:sfwpfi:2014:20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Frei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.