The Determinants of Urban (Un)employment Duration: Evidence from Barcelona
This paper analyses the likelihood of leaving and joining employment in an urban area. Estimates show that individual, firm, regulatory and macroeconomic factors a ffect urban (un)employment duration in di fferent degrees. Also, national and urban (un)employment seem to share a common baseline hazard and similar macroeconomic and regulatory drivers. Individual characteristics are the only source of di fference we can identify between national and urban (un)employment duration. Keywords: Duration Models, Urban (Un)employment. JEL Classi fication: J64, R23.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.catEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cécile Détang-Dessendre & Carl Gaigné, 2009.
"Unemployment duration, city size, and the tightness of the labor market,"
Working Papers SMART - LERECO
09-04, INRA UMR SMART.
- Détang-Dessendre, Cécile & Gaigné, Carl, 2009. "Unemployment duration, city size, and the tightness of the labor market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 266-276, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521698221 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eckstein, Zvi & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2004.
"Empirical Labour Search: A Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anna Matas & Josep-Lluis Raymond & Josep-Lluis Roig, 2010. "Job Accessibility and Female Employment Probability: The Cases of Barcelona and Madrid," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(4), pages 769-787, April.
- J. García-Pérez & Fernando Muñoz-Bullón, 2004.
"Are Temporary Help Agencies changing mobility patterns in the Spanish labour market?,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 43-65, January.
- J.I. García-Pérez & Fernando Muñoz-Bullón, 2003. "Are Temporary Help Agencies Changing Mobility Patterns In The Spanish Labour Market?," Business Economics Working Papers wb035513, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Zenou, Yves, 2002.
"How do firms redline workers?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 391-408, November.
- Fredrik Andersson & John C. Haltiwanger & Mark J. Kutzbach & Henry O. Pollakowski & Daniel H. Weinberg, 2014.
"Job Displacement and the Duration of Joblessness: The Role of Spatial Mismatch,"
NBER Working Papers
20066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fredrik Andersson & John Haltiwanger & Mark Kutzbach & Henry Pollakowski & Daniel Weinberg, 2011. "Job Displacement And The Duration Of Joblessness: The Role Of Spatial Mismatch," Working Papers 11-30r, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Apr 2014.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521875387 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rogers, Cynthia L., 1997. "Job Search and Unemployment Duration: Implications for the Spatial Mismatch Hypothesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 109-132, July.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David C. Mare, 1994.
"Cities and Skills,"
NBER Working Papers
4728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Crampton, Graham R., 1999. "Urban labour markets," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: P. C. Cheshire & E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 1499-1557 Elsevier.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Ahn, Namkee & Ugidos-Olazabal, Arantza, 1995. "Duration of Unemployment in Spain: Relative Effects of Unemployment Benefit and Family Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(2), pages 249-64, May.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Jimeno, Juan F, 1995. "Structural Unemployment: Spain versus Portugal," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 212-18, May.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "Easy Estimation Methods for Discrete-Time Duration Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 129-38, February.
- Alba-Ramirez, Alfonso & Arranz, Jose M. & Munoz-Bullon, Fernando, 2007.
"Exits from unemployment: Recall or new job,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 788-810, October.
- Thomas, Jonathan M., 1998. "Ethnic Variation in Commuting Propensity and Unemployment Spells: Some U.K. Evidence," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 385-400, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/211799. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.