University Drop-out in Italy
This paper investigates the determinants of Italian university drop-out which is one of the main issues of the tertiary education system. We provide evidence at national level as we use longitudinal data drawn from the European Community Household Panel (ECHP) for Italy. We perform a survival analysis model and results indicate that family income does not appear to be associated with withdrawal, while it does matter parental education and family composition. In addition, after taking the probability of dropping out from university, we have defined the predicted hazard rate and survival time for some specific groups according to the set of covariates selected each time.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Perrone 18, 28100 Novara|
Web page: http://semeq.unipmn.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2007. "University drop-out. The case of Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 626, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Carmen Aina, 2010.
"The Determinants of Success and Failure of Italian University Students. Evidence from administrative data,"
131, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Carmen Aina, 2011. "The Determinants of Success and Failure of Italian University Students. Evidence from administrative data," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 119(2), pages 85-108.
- Geraint Johnes & Robert McNabb, 2004. "Never Give up on the Good Times: Student Attrition in the UK," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(1), pages 23-47, 02.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Dennis A. Ahlburg & Brian P. Mccall & In-gang Na, . "Time to Dropout From College: A Hazard Model with Endogenous Waiting," Working Papers 0102, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- G. Boero & T. Laureti & R. Naylor, 2005. "An econometric analysis of student withdrawal and progression in post-reform Italian Universities," Working Paper CRENoS 200504, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upo:upopwp:134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.