Testing Cross-sectional Correlation in Large Panel Data Models with Serial Correlation
This paper considers the problem of testing cross-sectional correlation in large panel data models with serially correlated errors. It finds that existing tests for cross-sectional correlation encounter size distortions with serial correlation in the errors. To control the size, this paper proposes a modification of Pesaran’s CD test to account for serial correlation of an unknown form in the error term. We derive the limiting distribution of this test as (N, T) → ∞. The test is distribution free and allows for unknown forms of serial correlation in the errors. Monte Carlo simulations show that the test has good size and power for large panels when serial correlation in the errors is present. JEL Classification: C13; C33 Key words: Cross-sectional Correlation Test; Serial Correlation; Large Panel Data Model
|Date of creation:||Oct 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Connecticut 365 Fairfield Way, Unit 1063 Storrs, CT 06269-1063|
Phone: (860) 486-4889
Fax: (860) 486-4463
Web page: http://www.econ.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Feng, Qu & Kao, Chihwa, 2012.
"A Lagrange Multiplier test for cross-sectional dependence in a fixed effects panel data model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 164-177.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2012. "A Lagrange Multiplier Test for Cross-Sectional Dependence in a Fixed Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 137, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2005. "Cross-Section Regression with Common Shocks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(5), pages 1551-1585, 09.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 2003. "Cross-section Regression with Common Shocks," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1428, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 2004. "Cross-section Regression with Common Shocks," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm401, Yale School of Management.
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., "undated". "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003. "Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002. "Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- James R. Schott, 2005. "Testing for complete independence in high dimensions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 951-956, December.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2015. "Testing Weak Cross-Sectional Dependence in Large Panels," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6-10), pages 1089-1117, December.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2012. "Testing Weak Cross-Sectional Dependence in Large Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 6432, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2012. "Testing Weak Cross-Sectional Dependence in Large Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 3800, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M. H., 2012. "Testing Weak Cross-Sectional Dependence in Large Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1208, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Chen, Song Xi & Qin, Yingli, 2010. "A Two Sample Test for High Dimensional Data with Applications to Gene-set Testing," MPRA Paper 59642, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vasilis Sarafidis & Tom Wansbeek, 2012. "Cross-Sectional Dependence in Panel Data Analysis," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 483-531, September.
- Sarafidis, Vasilis & Wansbeek, Tom, 2010. "Cross-sectional Dependence in Panel Data Analysis," MPRA Paper 20367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2011. "Testing for sphericity in a fixed effects panel data model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 14(1), pages 25-47, February.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2011. "Testing for sphericity in a fixed effects panel data model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 14, pages 25-47, 02.
- Chen, Song Xi & Zhang, Li-Xin & Zhong, Ping-Shou, 2010. "Tests for High-Dimensional Covariance Matrices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(490), pages 810-819.
- Francesco Moscone & Elisa Tosetti, 2009. "A Review And Comparison Of Tests Of Cross-Section Independence In Panels," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 528-561, 07. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uct:uconnp:2016-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark McConnel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.