A note on tests of sphericity and cross-sectional dependence for fixed effects panel model
This paper theoretically explains why bias correction appears in two statistics recently developed by Baltagi et al. (2011, 2012), which are designed to test the sphericity and cross-sectional dependence of the errors in the fixed effects panel model respectively. Our explanation shows that the bias correction is in fact avoidable, which is demonstrated by two corresponding statistics that are newly constructed in this paper. Simulation suggests that our statistics perform as well as the two in Baltagi et al. (2011, 2012). In addition, according to the theories underlying our explanation, we extend a new sphericity test proposed by Fisher et al. (2010) to the fixed effects model. Simulation finds that the test behaves well only if both the cross-sectional and the time series dimension are large.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2011.
"Testing for sphericity in a fixed effects panel data model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 14(1), pages 25-47, February.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2011. "Testing for sphericity in a fixed effects panel data model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 14, pages 25-47, 02.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Feng, Qu & Kao, Chihwa, 2012.
"A Lagrange Multiplier test for cross-sectional dependence in a fixed effects panel data model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 164-177.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Qu Feng & Chihwa Kao, 2012. "A Lagrange Multiplier Test for Cross-Sectional Dependence in a Fixed Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 137, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Fisher, Thomas J. & Sun, Xiaoqian & Gallagher, Colin M., 2010. "A new test for sphericity of the covariance matrix for high dimensional data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2554-2570, November.
- James R. Schott, 2005. "Testing for complete independence in high dimensions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 951-956, December.
- repec:oup:restud:v:47:y:1980:i:1:p:239-53 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:122:y:2014:i:2:p:215-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.