Optimal Commodity Taxation and Redistribution within Households
Using a collective model of consumption, we characterize optimal commodity taxes aimed at targeting speci fic individuals within the household. The main message is that distortionary indirect taxation can circumvent the agency problem of the household. Essentially, taxation should discourage less the consumption of a certain group of goods: those for which the slope of the Engel curves is larger for the targeted person.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sam Allgood, 2009. "The Collective Household, Household Production and Efficiency of Marginal Reforms," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(5), pages 749-771, October.
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni, 2012.
"Targeting and child poverty,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 783-808, October.
- Apps, Patricia F. & Rees, Ray, 1988. "Taxation and the household," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 355-369, April.
- Henrik Jacobsen Kleven & Claus Thustrup Kreiner & Emmanuel Saez, 2006.
"The Optimal Income Taxation of Couples,"
NBER Working Papers
12685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anyck Dauphin & Abdel‐Rahmen El Lahga & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2011.
"Are Children Decision‐Makers within the Household?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(553), pages 871-903, 06.
- Anyck Dauphin & Abdel-Rahmen El Lahga & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2010. "Are Children Decision-Makers Within the Household?," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-17, CIRANO.
- Anyck Dauphin & Abdel-Rahmen El Lahga & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2008. "Are Children Decision-Makers Within the Household?," Cahiers de recherche 0829, CIRPEE.
- Dauphin, Anyck & El Lahga, AbdelRahmen & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 2008. "Are Children Decision-Makers Within the Household?," IZA Discussion Papers 3728, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1998.
"On the Taxation of Trade Within and Between Households,"
337, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Apps, Patricia & Rees, Ray, 1999. "On the taxation of trade within and between households," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 241-263, August.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 2006.
"Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power,"
Economics Series Working Papers
289, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andrée Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, 2004. "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 588, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2010.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, . "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," CAM Working Papers 2003-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics, revised Dec 2003.
- Alessandro Balestrino, 2004. "Revisiting the Equity-Efficiency Trade-off: Taxation with Non-Cooperative Families," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(4), pages 515-, December.
- Diamond, P. A., 1975.
"A many-person Ramsey tax rule,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-342, November.
- Olivier Donni, 2006. "Collective consumption and welfare," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 124-144, February.
- Donni, Olivier, 2003.
"Collective household labor supply: nonparticipation and income taxation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1179-1198, May.
- Olivier Donni, 2001. "Collective Household Labor Supply: Nonparticipation and Income Taxation," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 140, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Brett, Craig, 1998. "Tax reform and collective family decision-making," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 425-440, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:201107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.