Risk Factors and Value at Risk in Publicly Trades Companies of the Nonrenewable Energy Sector
We analyze a sample of 64 oil and gas companies of the nonrenewable energy sector from 26 countries using daily observations on return on stock from July 15, 2003 to August 14, 2012. A panel model with fixed effects and Tarch effects shows significant prices for specific risk factors including company size and debt-to-equity and significant prices for common risk factors including the U.S. Dow Jones market excess return, the Vix, the WTI price of crude oil, and the FX of the euro, Chinese yuan, Brazilian real, Japanese yen, and British pound vis-a-vis the U.S. dollar. The evidence from multivariate Garch-DCC models is that the companies have significant heterogeneity in response to specific and common factors. We show that the financial crisis of 2008 is the period of largest conditional volatility and DCC under exposure to all factors. Comparisons of one-day horizon value at risk show that Garch models without taking into account exposure underestimate value at risk. In accounting for the exposure to all factors, we find that both DCC and value at risk increase considerably during the financial crisis and remain larger in magnitude after the financial crisis of 2008.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rabeh Khalfaoui & Mohammed Boutahar, 2012.
"Portfolio Risk Evaluation An Approach Based on Dynamic Conditional Correlations Models and Wavelet Multi-Resolution Analysis,"
AMSE Working Papers
1208, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Khalfaoui, R & Boutahar, M, 2012. "Portfolio risk evaluation: An approach based on dynamic conditional correlations models and wavelet multiresolution analysis," MPRA Paper 41624, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- R. Khalfaoui & M. Boutahar, 2012. "Portfolio Risk Evaluation: An Approach Based on Dynamic Conditional Correlations Models and Wavelet Multi-Resolution Analysis," Working Papers halshs-00793068, HAL.
- Chiou, Jer-Shiou & Lee, Yen-Hsien, 2009. "Jump dynamics and volatility: Oil and the stock markets," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 788-796.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1995. " Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 131-55, March.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew & Stulz, Rene M., 2003.
"Are financial assets priced locally or globally?,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 975-1020
- Sunil K. Mohanty & Mohan Nandha, 2011. "Oil Risk Exposure: The Case of the U.S. Oil and Gas Sector," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 165-191, 02.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Harvey, Campbell R., 1994.
"Sources of risk and expected returns in global equity markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 775-803, September.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994. "Sources of Risk and Expected Returns in Global Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 4622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramos, Sofia B. & Veiga, Helena, 2011.
"Risk factors in oil and gas industry returns: International evidence,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 525-542, May.
- Veiga, Helena & Ramos, Sofia B., 2009. "Risk factors in oil and gas industry returns: international evidence," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws096920, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Hamilton, James D, 1983. "Oil and the Macroeconomy since World War II," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 228-48, April.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Rabemananjara, R & Zakoian, J M, 1993. "Threshold Arch Models and Asymmetries in Volatility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, Jan.-Marc.
- Perry Sadorsky, 2008. "The oil price exposure of global oil companies," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 93-96.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno, 1998. "How big is the premium for currency risk?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 375-412, September.
- Massimo Giovannini & Margherita Grasso & Alessandro Lanza & Matteo Manera, 2006.
"Conditional correlations in the returns on oil companies stock prices and their determinants,"
Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 193-207, September.
- Matteo Manera & Massimo Giovannini & Margherita Grasso & Alessandro Lanza, 2004. "Conditional Correlations in the Returns on Oil Companies Stock Prices and Their Determinants," Working Papers 2004.71, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Marco J. Lombardi & Francesco Ravazzolo, 2012.
"Oil price density forecasts: exploring the linkages with stock markets,"
2012/24, Norges Bank.
- Francesco Ravazzolo & Marco J. Lombardi, 2012. "Oil price density forecasts: Exploring the linkages with stock markets," Working Papers 0008, Centre for Applied Macro- and Petroleum economics (CAMP), BI Norwegian Business School.
- M. Martin Boyer & Didier Filion, 2004.
"Common and Fundamental Factors in Stock Returns of Canadian Oil and Gas Companies,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Boyer, M. Martin & Filion, Didier, 2007. "Common and fundamental factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 428-453, May.
- G. David Haushalter, 2000. "Financing Policy, Basis Risk, and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from Oil and Gas Producers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 107-152, 02.
- Shaun K. Roache, 2008. "Commodities and the Market Price of Risk," IMF Working Papers 08/221, International Monetary Fund.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- PIERRET, Diane, 2013. "The systemic risk of energy markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2013018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2001. "Risk factors in stock returns of Canadian oil and gas companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 17-28, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Mansur, Iqbal & Odusami, Babatunde, 2011. "Oil price shocks and industry stock returns," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 966-974, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.