ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on Welfare
In Australia, on the 3rd of March 2009, the interchange fees on shared ATM transactions were removed and replaced by fees directly set and received by the ATM owners. We develop a model to study how the entry of independent ATM deployers (IADs) aspects welfare under this direct charging scheme. Paradoxically, we show that the IAD entry benefits banks. It may be good for consumers if they sufficiently value the associated growth of the ATM network.
|Date of creation:||09 Jun 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in The Review of Network Economics, vol. 10, n°2, juin 2011.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Ioana Chioveanu & Joel Sandonís & Juana Santamaria-Garcia, 2007. "Atm Surcharges: Effects On Deployment And Welfare," Working Papers. Serie AD 2007-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "Paying for ATM usage : good for consumers, bad for banks ?," MPRA Paper 10892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006.
"Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," Working Papers 629, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," Working Papers 06-08, NET Institute, revised Sep 2006.
- Jocelyn Donze & Isabelle Dubec, 2009. "PAYING FOR ATM USAGE: GOOD FOR CONSUMERS, BAD FOR BANKS? -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 583-612, 09.
- Ioana Chioveanu & Ramon Fauli-Oller & Joel Sandonis & Juana Santamaria, 2009. "ATM SURCHARGES: EFFECTS ON DEPLOYMENT AND WELFARE -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 613-635, 09.
- Nadia Massoud & Dan Bernhardt, 2002. ""Rip-Off" ATM Surcharges," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(1), pages 96-115, Spring.
- Mcandrews James J., 2003. "Automated Teller Machine Network Pricing - A Review of the Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-13, June.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2010.
"The effects of regulating interchange fees at cost on the ATM market,"
Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 187-189, May.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "The effects of regulating interchange fees at cost on the ATM market," MPRA Paper 10893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brendan Filipovski & Darren Flood, 2010. "Reform of the ATM System - One Year On," RBA Bulletin, Reserve Bank of Australia, pages 37-45, June.
- Jocelyn Donze & Isabelle Dubec, 2003.
"The role of interchange fees in ATM networks,"
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:22718. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.