ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on Welfare
In Australia, interchange fees on shared ATM transactions have been recently removed and replaced by usage fees directly set and received by ATM owners. We develop a model to study how entry of independent ATM deployers (IADs) affects welfare under the direct charging scheme. We show that paradoxically, IAD entry benefits banks. Entry benefits consumers when they strongly value the associated growth of the ATM network.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/rne|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nadia Massoud & Dan Bernhardt, 2002. ""Rip-Off" ATM Surcharges," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(1), pages 96-115, Spring.
- Mcandrews James J., 2003. "Automated Teller Machine Network Pricing - A Review of the Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-13, June.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "Paying for ATM usage : good for consumers, bad for banks ?," MPRA Paper 10892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Stango, Victor, 2011.
"Strategic incompatibility in ATM markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2627-2636, October.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," Working Papers 06-08, NET Institute, revised Sep 2006.
- Christopher Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," Working Papers 629, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," NBER Working Papers 12604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2010. "The effects of regulating interchange fees at cost on the ATM market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 187-189, May.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "The effects of regulating interchange fees at cost on the ATM market," MPRA Paper 10893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2006. "The role of interchange fees in ATM networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 29-43, January.
- Jocelyn Donze & Isabelle Dubec, 2003. "The role of interchange fees in ATM networks," Industrial Organization 0311002, EconWPA.
- Jocelyn Donze & Isabelle Dubec, 2009. "PAYING FOR ATM USAGE: GOOD FOR CONSUMERS, BAD FOR BANKS? -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 583-612, 09.
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Ioana Chioveanu & Joel Sandonís & Juana Santamaria-Garcia, 2007. "Atm Surcharges: Effects On Deployment And Welfare," Working Papers. Serie AD 2007-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Brendan Filipovski & Darren Flood, 2010. "Reform of the ATM System - One Year On," RBA Bulletin, Reserve Bank of Australia, pages 37-45, June.
- Ioana Chioveanu & Ramon Fauli-Oller & Joel Sandonis & Juana Santamaria, 2009. "ATM SURCHARGES: EFFECTS ON DEPLOYMENT AND WELFARE -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 613-635, 09. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)