ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on welfare
Recently in Australia, the interchange fees on shared ATM transactions were removed and replaced by a fee directly set and received by the ATM owner ("direct charging scheme"). We develop a model to study how the entry of independent ATM deployers (IADS) affects welfare under the direct charging scheme. Paradoxically, we show that the entry of IADS benefits banks ! It is also good for consumers if they sufficiently value the ATMs deployed by the independent deployers.
|Date of creation:||19 Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "Paying for ATM usage : good for consumers, bad for banks ?," MPRA Paper 10892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Stango, Victor, 2011.
"Strategic incompatibility in ATM markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2627-2636, October.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," NBER Working Papers 12604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher R. Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," Working Papers 06-08, NET Institute, revised Sep 2006.
- Christopher Knittel & Victor Stango, 2006. "Strategic Incompatibility in ATM Markets," Working Papers 629, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2010. "The effects of regulating interchange fees at cost on the ATM market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 187-189, May.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "The effects of regulating interchange fees at cost on the ATM market," MPRA Paper 10893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
- Jocelyn Donze & Isabelle Dubec, 2009. "PAYING FOR ATM USAGE: GOOD FOR CONSUMERS, BAD FOR BANKS? -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 583-612, 09.
- Mcandrews James J., 2003. "Automated Teller Machine Network Pricing - A Review of the Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-13, June.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2006. "The role of interchange fees in ATM networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 29-43, January.
- Jocelyn Donze & Isabelle Dubec, 2003. "The role of interchange fees in ATM networks," Industrial Organization 0311002, EconWPA.
- Brendan Filipovski & Darren Flood, 2010. "Reform of the ATM System - One Year On," RBA Bulletin, Reserve Bank of Australia, pages 37-45, June.
- Ioana Chioveanu & Ramon Fauli-Oller & Joel Sandonis & Juana Santamaria, 2009. "ATM SURCHARGES: EFFECTS ON DEPLOYMENT AND WELFARE -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 613-635, 09.
- Nadia Massoud & Dan Bernhardt, 2002. ""Rip-Off" ATM Surcharges," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(1), pages 96-115, Spring.
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Ioana Chioveanu & Joel Sandonís & Juana Santamaria-Garcia, 2007. "Atm Surcharges: Effects On Deployment And Welfare," Working Papers. Serie AD 2007-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)