Independent service operators in ATM markets
This paper studies the impact of entry of non-banks (termed Independent Service Operators, ISOs) into ATM markets. We compare two different regimes by which the ISO may generate income: i) The ISO receives interchange fees and ii) the ISO charges consumers directly. We find that due to the entry of an ISO the size of the total ATM network increases independent of the way the ISO is financed. Account fees increase if the ISO receives interchange fees and decrease if the ISO charges consumers directly. Consumers may not benefit from the entry of the ISO. If a regulator can control the interchange fee, entry by an ISO financed through interchange fees increases consumer surplus, while the entry of a surcharging ISO decreases consumer surplus.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 211 81-15494
Fax: +49 211 81-15499
Web page: http://www.dice.hhu.de/en.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2008. "Paying for ATM usage : good for consumers, bad for banks ?," MPRA Paper 10892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wenzel Tobias, 2013. "Naive Consumers, Banking Competition, and ATM Pricing," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 271-286, October.
- Donze Jocelyn & Dubec Isabelle, 2011.
"ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on Welfare,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(2), pages 1-23, June.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2010. "ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on Welfare," MPRA Paper 23176, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2009. "ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on welfare," MPRA Paper 15818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2010. "ATM Direct Charging Reform: the Effect of Independent Deployers on Welfare," TSE Working Papers 10-162, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge, 1994. "Shared ATM networks and banking competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1113-1138, May.
- Alexander Matros, 2006. "Rent-seeking with asymmetric valuations: Addition or deletion of a player," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 129(3), pages 369-380, December.
- Mcandrews James J., 2003. "Automated Teller Machine Network Pricing - A Review of the Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-13, June.
- Ioana Chioveanu & Ramon Fauli-Oller & Joel Sandonis & Juana Santamaria, 2009.
"ATM SURCHARGES: EFFECTS ON DEPLOYMENT AND WELFARE -super-* ,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 613-635, 09.
- Donze, Jocelyn & Dubec, Isabelle, 2006.
"The role of interchange fees in ATM networks,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 29-43, January.
- Chung, Tai-Yeong, 1996. " Rent-Seeking Contest When the Prize Increases with Aggregate Efforts," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 87(1-2), pages 55-66, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:dicedp:96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.