Microfinance Over-Indebtedness: Understanding its drivers and challenging the common myths
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Ana del Río & Garry Young, 2005.
"The impact of unsecured debt on financial distress among British households,"
0512, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Ana Del-Río & Garry Young, 2005. "The impact of unsecured debt on financial distress among British households," Bank of England working papers 262, Bank of England.
- Beatriz Armendáriz & Ariane Szafarz, 2011.
"On Mission Drift in Microfinance Institutions,"
World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Beatriz Armendáriz & Marc Labie (ed.),The Handbook Of Microfinance, chapter 16, pages 341-366,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2009. "On Mission Drift In Microfinance Institutions," Working Papers CEB 09-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "On Mission Drift in Microfinance Institutions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/97387, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Armendáriz, Beatriz & Szafarz, Ariane, 2011. "On mission drift in microfinance institutions," MPRA Paper 31041, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Microfinance Over-Indebtedness: Naming the beast and nailing the concept
by Jessica Schicks in CGAP Microfinance Blog on 2011-02-01 05:17:08
- Save the Date: Bateman-Roodman Debate
by philmader in governance across borders on 2012-01-23 20:50:12
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jessica Schicks, 2011. "From a supply gap to a demand gap? The risk and consequences of over-indebting the underbanked," Working Papers CEB 11-046, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Maren Duvendack & Philip Mader, 2020.
"Impact Of Financial Inclusion In Low‐ And Middle‐Income Countries: A Systematic Review Of Reviews,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 594-629, July.
- Maren Duvendack & Philip Mader, 2019. "Impact of financial inclusion in low‐ and middle‐income countries: A systematic review of reviews," Campbell Systematic Reviews, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 15(1-2), June.
- Marion Allet, 2014. "Why Do Microfinance Institutions Go Green? An Exploratory Study," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 122(3), pages 405-424, July.
- Jessica Schicks, 2013. "The over-indebtedness of microfinance customers: an analysis from the customer protection perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/209525, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bos, Jaap W.B. & Millone, Matteo, 2015.
"Practice What You Preach: Microfinance Business Models and Operational Efficiency,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 28-42.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Millone, M.M., 2013. "Practice what you preach: Microfinance business models and operational efficiency," Research Memorandum 067, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- Maren Duvendack & Philip Mader, 2018. "PROTOCOL: Impact of financial inclusion in low‐ and middle‐income countries: a systematic review of reviews," Campbell Systematic Reviews, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 14(1), pages 1-58.
- Jessica Schicks, 2013.
"The Sacrifices of Micro-Borrowers in Ghana -- A Customer-Protection Perspective on Measuring Over-Indebtedness,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(9), pages 1238-1255, September.
- Jessica Schicks, 2012. "The sacrifices of microborrowers in Ghana – A customer-protection perspective on measuring over-indebtedness," Working Papers CEB 12-008, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Winkler, Adalbert & Wagner, Charlotte, 2013. "Growth patterns of microfinance clients - Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79945, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Schicks, Jessica, 2014.
"Over-Indebtedness in Microfinance – An Empirical Analysis of Related Factors on the Borrower Level,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 301-324.
- Jessica Schicks, 2012. "Over-Indebtedness in Microfinance – An Empirical Analysis of Related Factors on the Borrower Level," Working Papers CEB 12-017, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Abhi Dattasharma & Rajalaxmi Kamath & Smita Ramanathan, 2016. "The Burden of Microfinance Debt: Lessons from the Ramanagaram Financial Diaries," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 47(1), pages 130-156, January.
- Terberger, Eva, 2012. "The Microfinance Approach: Does it Deliver on its Promise?," Die Unternehmung - Swiss Journal of Business Research and Practice, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG, vol. 66(4), pages 358-370.
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Faruqee, Rashid & Samad, Hussain A., 2013.
"Are microcredit borrowers in Bangladesh over-indebted ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6574, The World Bank.
- Shahidur R. Khandker & Rashid Faruqee & Hussain A. Samad, 2014. "Are Microcredit Borrowers in Bangladesh Over-indebted?," Working Papers 26, Institute of Microfinance (InM).
- Matteo Marinangeli & Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2011. "Can the Poor Save More? Evidence from Bangladesh," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 57, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Bouyon, Sylvain & Musmeci, Roberto, 2016. "Two Dimensions of Combating Over-Indebtedness: Consumer protection and financial stability," ECRI Papers 11930, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Jebarajakirthy, Charles & Lobo, Antonio C., 2014. "War affected youth as consumers of microcredit: An application and extension of the Theory of Planned Behaviour," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 239-248.
- Bert D'Espallier & Marek Hudon & Ariane Szafarz, 2016.
"Aid Volatility and Social Performance in Microfinance,"
Working Papers CEB
16-015, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bert D'Espallier & Marek Hudon & Ariane Szafarz, 2017. "Aid Volatility and Social Performance in Microfinance," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/239877, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fanny Salignac & Axelle Marjolin & Rebecca Reeve & Kristy Muir, 2019. "Conceptualizing and Measuring Financial Resilience: A Multidimensional Framework," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 17-38, August.
- Chichaibelu, Bezawit Beyene & Waibel, Hermann, 2018. "Over-indebtedness and its persistence in rural households in Thailand and Vietnam," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 1-23.
- Michael Hamp & Carolina Laureti, 2011. "Balancing flexibility and discipline in microfinance: Innovative financial products that benefit clients and service providers," Working Papers CEB 11-044, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sk. Mahmudul Alam, Mahmud, 2012. "Does Microcredit Create Over-indebtedness?," MPRA Paper 39124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsMicrofinance; Microcredit; Over-Indebtedness; Debt; Customer Protection; Consumer Finance; Behavioural Economics;
- O16 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O50 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CWA-2010-10-02 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2010-10-02 (Development)
- NEP-MFD-2010-10-02 (Microfinance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:2013/64675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cebulbe.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.