The impact of unsecured debt on financial distress among British households
This paper uses evidence from the British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) to examine how attitudes towards unsecured debt are related to household finances and other characteristics. An ordered-logit model is estimated for 1995 and 2000 using a self-reported indicator of financial distress as the dependent variable. This analysis suggests that the main factors causing debt problems are the unsecured debt-income ratio, the level of mortgage income gearing, the level of financial wealth of households, their health, ethnicity and marital status. While the proportion of households reporting debt problems did not change between 1995 and 2000, there were important shifts among different groups. In particular, more households in the youngest age group reported debt repayments were a heavy burden in 2000, while the opposite applies to the oldest age group where a smaller proportion of households than in 1995 reported debt was a heavy burden. These changes can largely be accounted for by the changing economic circumstances of these groups rather than an unrelated shift in attitudes. In particular, the increase in indebtedness of the young was the main factor accounting for their greater tendency to report debt problems.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boheim, Rene & Taylor, Mark P., 2000.
"My Home Was My Castle: Evictions and Repossessions in Britain,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 287-319, December.
- BÃ¶heim, RenÃ© & Taylor, Mark P., 2000. "My home was my castle: evictions and repossessions in Britain," ISER Working Paper Series 2000-04, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Robert-Paul Berben & Alberto Locarno & Julian Morgan & Javier Vallés, 2005.
"Cross-country differences in monetary policy transmission,"
0502, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Locarno, Alberto & Morgan, Julian & Vallés, Javier, 2004. "Cross-country differences in monetary policy transmission," Working Paper Series 0400, European Central Bank.
- Camacho Maximo & Perez Quiros Gabriel, 2007.
"Jump-and-Rest Effect of U.S. Business Cycles,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(4), pages 1-39, December.
- Camacho, Maximo & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel, 2005. "Jump-and-Rest Effects of US Business Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 4975, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Máximo Camacho & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós, 2005. "Jump-and-rest effect of U.S. business cycles," Working Papers 0507, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli & Eva Ortega, 2004.
"Similarities and convergence in G-7 cycles,"
0404, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo & Ortega, Eva, 2004. "Similarities and Convergence in G7 Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 4534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli & Eva Ortega, 2003. "Similarities and convergence in G-7 cycles," Economics Working Papers 924, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2004.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo & Ortega, Eva, 2004. "Similarities and convergence in G-7 cycles," Working Paper Series 0312, European Central Bank.
- Juan J. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & Juan F. Jimeno, 2005.
"Dual employment protection legislation: a framework for analysis,"
0510, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan F, 2005. "Dual Employment Protection Legislation: A Framework for Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 5033, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan F., 2005. "Dual Employment Protection Legislation: A Framework for Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1564, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ana del Rio & Garry Young, 2006. "The determinants of unsecured borrowing: evidence from the BHPS," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(15), pages 1119-1144.
- Buisan, Ana & Caballero, Juan C. & Campa, Jose M. & Jimenez, Noelia, 2004.
"La importancia de la histéresis en las exportaciones de manufacturas de los países de la UEM,"
IESE Research Papers
D/561, IESE Business School.
- Ana Buisán & Juan Carlos Caballero & José Manuel Campa & Noelia Jiménez, 2004. "La importancia de la histéresis en las exportaciones de manufacturas de los países de la UEM," Monetaria, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 169-222, abril-jun.
- Andrés, Javier & López-Salido, J David & Nelson, Edward, 2004.
"Tobin's Imperfect Asset Substitution in Optimizing General Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2004. "Tobin's imperfect asset substitution in optimizing general equilibrium," Working Papers 2004-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Javier Andrés & Eva Ortega & Javier Vallés, 2003. "Market structure and inflation differentials in the European Monetary Union," Working Papers 0301, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.