Immigration and large banknotes
Do immigrants have a higher demand for large denominated banknotes than natives? This micro study examines whether cash orders for CHF 1,000 notes, a banknote used for storage purposes, is concentrated in Swiss municipalities with a high foreign-to-native ratio. Controlling for a range of regional indicators across 251 Swiss municipalities, European immigrants in Switzerland are found to hoard less CHF 1,000 banknotes than natives. This result says that immigration reduces seigniorage (per person) as measured by currency orders. A 1% increase in the immigrant-to-native ratio is coincident with a reduction in currency orders by CHF 4,000. The dampening effect is attributed to specific traits linked to immigrants.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdurrahman Aydemir & George J. Borjas, 2011.
"Attenuation Bias in Measuring the Wage Impact of Immigration,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 69-113, 01.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir & George J. Borjas, 2010. "Attenuation Bias in Measuring the Wage Impact of Immigration," NBER Working Papers 16229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fujiki, Hiroshi, 2002. "Money Demand near Zero Interest Rate: Evidence from Regional Data," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 20(2), pages 25-41, April.
- Tin, Jan, 2008. "An empirical examination of the inventory-theoretic model of precautionary money demand," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 204-205, April.
- Saul Lach, 2007.
"Immigration and Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(4), pages 548-587, 08.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1998. "Blessing or curse? Foreign and underground demand for euro notes," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 261-303, 04.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1992.
"U.S. Money Demand: Surprising Cross-Sectional Estimates,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(2), pages 285-343.
- Sala-i-Martin, X. & Mulligan, C.B., 1992. "U.S. Money Demand: Surprising Cross-Sectional Estimates," Papers 671, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Andreas M. Fischer, 2006.
"Measuring Income Elasticity for Swiss Money Demand: What do the Cantons say about Financial Innovation?,"
2006-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Fischer, Andreas M., 2007. "Measuring income elasticity for Swiss money demand: What do the cantons say about financial innovation?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1641-1660, October.
- Andreas Fischer, 2005. "Measuring Income Elasticity for Swiss Money Demand: What do the cantons say about financial innovation?," Working Papers 05.01, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Fischer, Andreas M, 2005. "Measuring Income Elasticity for Swiss Money Demand: What Do the Cantons Say About Financial Innovation?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5050, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hiroshi Fujiki & Casey B. Mulligan, 1996. "A Structural Analysis of Money Demand: Cross-Sectional Evidence from Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 14(2), pages 53-78, December.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Boyan Jovanovic, 1978.
"On Transactions and Precautionary Demand For Money,"
NBER Working Papers
0288, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1980. "On Transactions and Precautionary Demand for Money," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(1), pages 25-43, August.
- Duca, John V & Whitesell, William C, 1995.
"Credit Cards and Money Demand: A Cross-sectional Study,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 604-23, May.
- John V. Duca & William C. Whitesell, 1991. "Credit cards and money demand: a cross-sectional study," Research Paper 9112, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Boeschoten, Willem C & Fase, Martin M G, 1992. "The Demand for Large Bank Notes," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 319-37, August.
- Richard D. Porter & Ruth A. Judson, 1996. "The location of U.S. currency: how much is abroad?," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 883-903.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snb:snbwpa:2010-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.